2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

eBay Shorty Headers

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 12:47 PM
oxymoron29
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default eBay Shorty Headers

Ok, so what's the deal with these? How many of you are running them, for how long, and how have they held up? In my search I have only found 1 long term review and they had nothing but good things to say. At just over $100 delivered how can you say no? I currently have a set of Edelbrock shorties that I got barely used about 4 years ago and they are absolute garbage. The driver's side had recently cracked on one of the downtubes where it is welded into the collector and leaked / sounded terrible. I hauled it off, cut the collector in half, welded the tubes inside as best I could and welded the collector back together, but it still ticks a little bit (I assume I didn't weld it 100% - very awkward spot - header leaks drive me absolutely nuts). They also use graphite donut seals at the Y-pipe connection which are just awful and have rusted a fair amount as well.

The eBay ones seem to be made of T-201 SS which...I guess is not the greatest...but IDK.

Comments?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Ram-1...laAq3a&vxp=mtr

Old 11-16-2017, 01:09 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

We got a set for my daughter's chevy 2 years ago. I think they are Manzo. They fit well, have a thick flange and are 14 gauge. I really like them. I will try to find the Manzo shorties on Ebay when I get around to putting a set on our dodge. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Manzo-Stainless-Steel-Exhaust-Headers-Dodge-Ram-Durango-Dakota-94-03-5-9L-TP-210/380821454331?epid=1737472376&hash=item58aaba3dfb:g UkAAOSwrklU3jRG&vxp=mtr
I don't think that's the company we bought her's from but that's the brand.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Manzo-Perfo....c100033.m2042

These have a better description, says 304 stainless.

Last edited by 2bit; 11-16-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:16 PM
jmhd1989
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go back to stock my friend. I installed pacesetters on mine and they rusted after a pismo beach trip so i replaced with JBA shorties. No leaks but they magnify the injector tick noise making it sound like a leak. If i could go back i would put the stock manifolds back on. never worry about leaks (no gaskets) and for my truck at least, the headers didn't do a damn thing for performance fuel economy or even sound (already had magnaflow muffler on).

Old 11-16-2017, 07:30 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 300 Likes on 284 Posts

I've got JBA coated shorties on my truck and really like them. The coating really keeps down the under-hood temperatures. As was mentioned earlier, the headers do seem to magnify the injector tick sound and make you think they are leaking.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:44 PM
2bit
Record Breaker

Try a set of Remflex gaskets if you buy headers.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:04 AM
oxymoron29
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Manzo ones just look like a branded version of the no-name china ones (might even be the same grade of stainless....who knows). Good to know they are working well.

And yes, I have already considered going back to the stock manifolds, which is not out of the question. I did notice a big sound difference switching to headers however, which is part of the reason I wanted another set of shorties. The thinner wall of the tubes and ticking of just exhaust flow might drive me up the wall thinking it is a leak as well. Hmm...

Old 11-17-2017, 04:57 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got JBA shorties. They started to rust after 1 year, removed em and got em powder coated for way more than they're worth. the heat from headers will toast your sparkplug wires and you'll need heat protective sleaves over the wires as well as a new wire support guides to keep them off the headers. Might want to stick with the manifolds unless you want to deal with all that.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:54 AM
Big Green 360
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm using the Pacesetter shorties. They're not even stainless, just mild steel and very thin. I coated the inside with Eastwood Internal Header and Exhaust coating (ceramic) and it's actually amazing. It keeps the headers from putting off much heat at all. They actually seem cooler after a long drive than the manifolds were! For something that comes in a can and cost $30, I still can't believe how well it works.

Also from all the complaints I've read, it seems that most of the aftermarket headers have trouble getting a leak free seal to the heads with normal gaskets. Mine were no exception. As 2bit suggested, a set of Remflex gaskets will cure that problem.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:16 AM
itate
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running the Pacessetter shorties too since 2008, I waited till the factory paint burned off and coated them with a high temp ceramic header paint. Usually once a year I'll give them another coat and the gaskets that came with the headers only lasted a couple years.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:01 PM
2bit
Record Breaker

The thickness of the flange also effects how well headers seal. The Manzos have a fairly thick flange.