Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

2012 Dodge Journey my interior lights stay on while driving.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 09:48 AM
dunko
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Dodge Journey my interior lights stay on while driving.

Just started to happen today. When the push button is Off or on ACC the interior lights are off or work normally but in Run position they come on and sort of flicker. The dash light dimmer switch is not in the on position for the interior lights, I have checked that.
Anyone experienced this problem?

Old 11-18-2017, 02:20 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Check your visors where the screws hold them to the roof...for a short to ground.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:25 PM
dunko

Thanks I will check the visors and let you know

Old 11-19-2017, 08:48 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Make sure all your doors are firmly closed.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:33 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

The interior lights are actually fed by two sources. One is an output from cluster generated by the door ajar switches opening and the other is interior lights always hot so switches can be used manually inside the car like the map lights and dimmer switch. The visors happen to be spliced into that always hot circuit. We have massive recalls related to a cheap @ss engineering move on Grand Cherokee and Durango. Probably to save 2.5 pennies per car. I've seen this in Journeys too, but not as many.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:27 AM
dunko

Ok I have found the problem. I tried the visors but that wasn't it, so thanks for the tip anyway. So I thought to myself what has changed of late. I noticed the interior light on the tail door was not working. This has been playing up in the last six months. When I open the tail door the light goes out when the door is half open. Now it is not coming on at all. I pulled the plug off the light and bingo Bango the lights went off. I will have to further investigate where the short is. I suspect it could be the tail doors switch. When I find it I'll post back. Could be help someone else in the future.

Old 11-23-2017, 01:16 AM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by dunko
Ok I have found the problem. I tried the visors but that wasn't it, so thanks for the tip anyway. So I thought to myself what has changed of late. I noticed the interior light on the tail door was not working. This has been playing up in the last six months. When I open the tail door the light goes out when the door is half open. Now it is not coming on at all. I pulled the plug off the light and bingo Bango the lights went off. I will have to further investigate where the short is. I suspect it could be the tail doors switch. When I find it I'll post back. Could be help someone else in the future.
Cool. Take a pic of what you found if you can.

Old 11-24-2017, 05:48 AM
dunko

Last edited by dunko; 11-24-2017 at 05:50 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:23 AM
dunko

Fixed the problem today. Thought I'd start at where the most obvious area of where the problem would be before I look at the switch. So the most obvious area to me was where the wiring loom goes through the back door to the body of the car. Top left hand corner and it's covered by a rubber boot. So I pulled the rubber boot back and bingo bango.....there it is a broken wire. The colour of the wire is a greyish blue with black stripe. It looks to be the main 12v supply to the rear interior light.
So I pulled the rubber boot back towards the car body and clamped it as to hold the rubber boot so I could join the wire. This worked well as you don't wont to cut the rubber boot off. Stripped back the wires, soldered together and then covered join with heat shrink. Taped the whole wiring loom for added protection and then slipped back the rubber boot back into its position in the door and car body. All good!
This broken wire was shorting against what I think is the camera cable as it has tin foil wrapped around it, which usually is earthed. The whole wiring loom is a bit of a design fault because the wires used are very rigid and in a area like that, flexible wire/wires would save these types of faults. Anyway if you do have this problem which started out as the interior light on the back door going out when the door was half way up, this more than likely your problem.
I will try and work out how to post the picture that I took.
Next job is to fix the camera. Hasn't been working properly for a while and this seems to be a common fault with Dodge cameras.
Tips to post a pic from my iPad would be much appreciated

Last edited by dunko; 11-24-2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:42 AM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by dunko
Fixed the problem today. Thought I'd start at where the most obvious area of where the problem would be before I look at the switch. So the most obvious area to me was where the wiring loom goes through the back door to the body of the car. Top left hand corner and it's covered by a rubber boot. So I pulled the rubber boot back and bingo bango.....there it is a broken wire. The colour of the wire is a greyish blue with black stripe. It looks to be the main 12v supply to the rear interior light.
So I pulled the rubber boot back towards the car body and clamped it as to hold the rubber boot so I could join the wire. This worked well as you don't wont to cut the rubber boot off. Stripped back the wires, soldered together and then covered join with heat shrink. Taped the whole wiring loom for added protection and then slipped back the rubber boot back into its position in the door and car body. All good!
This broken wire was shorting against what I think is the camera cable as it has tin foil wrapped around it, which usually is earthed. The whole wiring loom is a bit of a design fault because the wires used are very rigid and in a area like that, flexible wire/wires would save these types of faults. Anyway if you do have this problem which started out as the interior light on the back door going out when the door was half way up, this more than likely your problem.
I will try and work out how to post the picture that I took.
Next job is to fix the camera. Hasn't been working properly for a while and this seems to be a common fault with Dodge cameras.
Tips to post a pic from my iPad would be much appreciated

Well, the thing is the wire USED to be flexible when the car was made. It got rigid like that during the last 5 years. That shouldn't happen. The flex joints in the doors need to be different than the parts that just sit under panels and never move.

Quick Reply: 2012 Dodge Journey my interior lights stay on while driving.