2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tie rod end (and drag link) taper dimensions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 12:43 PM
wca_tim
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default tie rod end (and drag link) taper dimensions...

I feel like I should be able to find this on the web or here using search functions, but have been at it a while and just can't seem to... ;-/ Anyone know off the top what the dimensions of the tie rod end taper for 2nd gen trucks are? (ie max, min and length) I know the taper / angle, just not the specific dimensions. Thanks!

Old 11-22-2017, 03:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by wca_tim
I feel like I should be able to find this on the web or here using search functions, but have been at it a while and just can't seem to... ;-/ Anyone know off the top what the dimensions of the tie rod end taper for 2nd gen trucks are? (ie max, min and length) I know the taper / angle, just not the specific dimensions. Thanks!
I am not sure that information is actually written down anywhere...... any particular reason you need it?

Old 11-22-2017, 04:07 PM
wca_tim
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I am not sure that information is actually written down anywhere...... any particular reason you need it?
I'm modifying a dropped pitman arm for a project and need to flip the drag link to the other side. Going to bore the hole out oversized and turn a sleeve with the right taper to slide / weld in from the other side. I can get close by measuring the drag link, but was hoping to cut the taper to spec to be sure to get the best depth... I'm almost certain I've seen it somewhere, but can't for the life of me figure out where... grrr... oh well, Thanks!

Old 11-23-2017, 02:38 AM
brian102
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 11-25-2017, 10:21 PM
wca_tim
Professional

your linked search yielded even less information than all the ones I did... knowing the taper angle (it's 7 degrees or 1.5 inches per foot just like GM 1 ton tie rod ends), doesn't provide the dimensions to cut the taper such that the tie rod end seats to the depth intended by the designer... The 2nd gen dodge taper angle is the same as GM 1 ton, BUT the diameters are smaller... I was interested in the engineering specifications for the taper to ensure it would seat to the intended depth......

Perhaps if you read the question next time you could provide some useful insight?

Old 11-26-2017, 04:12 AM
brian102
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wca_tim
your linked search yielded even less information than all the ones I did... knowing the taper angle (it's 7 degrees or 1.5 inches per foot just like GM 1 ton tie rod ends), doesn't provide the dimensions to cut the taper such that the tie rod end seats to the depth intended by the designer... The 2nd gen dodge taper angle is the same as GM 1 ton, BUT the diameters are smaller... I was interested in the engineering specifications for the taper to ensure it would seat to the intended depth......

Perhaps if you read the question next time you could provide some useful insight?
first: you would be amazed how many people don't know how to use google. second: refer to HeyYou's post. Third: a suspension manufacturer like moog might be able to provide what you are looking for, but you will likely have to contact them directly. it will probably take some time before you get past the morons and get hold of someone that cares or has the authority to care. Dodge may even be of help, but again you have to get past the initial morons that tell you they don't have that info. the parts are still made, so the spec sheet still exists.

better?

maybe something here would help?
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....366590&jsn=494
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....366590&jsn=495
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....366590&jsn=496

there are a few tech specs on each of those.

Last edited by brian102; 11-26-2017 at 04:20 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:50 AM
wca_tim
Professional

Thanks! ...and sorry for being a butt last night! I forget sometimes how lazy some folks are - I guess I've just gotten to the point where I ignore it and forget that just because I know I dig for things and think through them carefully before just randomly posting for help on message boards, doesn't mean that others will know / assume that I do...

What's funny is that we apparently think alike ... Before posting on here, Rock Auto was one of the first places I looked when google, pirate4x4, here, a couple others didn't yield results, then from rock auto to moog problem solvers / tie rod end specs on their web page armed with part numbers... I included both the standard y-type steering and the 98-99 HD T-type steering setups (I have the second fitted on the dana 60 on my van, soon on my truck - highly recommended change from the Y-style..). Moog generally shows the max and min taper diameter on their site for their products and I've found it very helpful when trying to fit oddball things together like this in the past. ...but those columns are blank for the ones that cross-referenced to dodge tie rod ends fitting the gen 2 trucks with 1.00 x 16 threaded ends. I emailed moog customer service but haven't gotten a reply yet and didn't have the patience to wait until tomorrow to call and try to get through the layers of people. SOOOO being the smart guy that I am (I'm kidding...), I finally just did what I should probably have in the first place - I grabbed a mic and d measured I have a half a dozen used new tie rod and drag link ends, three pittman arms and the knuckles on a dana 60 and dana 44.

for future reference I wound up with 0.95 in long taper that would be 0.60 min diameter and 0.70 max diameter (the average I wound up with from the measurements...) and the pitman arm I'm using is 1.1 in thick the knuckles a bit thicker... both having the same taper...

Originally Posted by brian102
first: you would be amazed how many people don't know how to use google. second: refer to HeyYou's post. Third: a suspension manufacturer like moog might be able to provide what you are looking for, but you will likely have to contact them directly. it will probably take some time before you get past the morons and get hold of someone that cares or has the authority to care. Dodge may even be of help, but again you have to get past the initial morons that tell you they don't have that info. the parts are still made, so the spec sheet still exists.

better?

maybe something here would help?
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....366590&jsn=494
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....366590&jsn=495
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....366590&jsn=496

there are a few tech specs on each of those.