2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Audio Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 12:18 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts
Default Audio Help

I'm looking at getting a head unit and speakers from my sponsor for the 01. I'm getting an 8in touchscreen from doing and RockFord Fosgate speakers. What would be the best combination? I know they said you can fit 6.5 in the rear doors but how? I'm thinking 4 sets of crossovers. Any thoughts?

Old 12-11-2017, 12:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

That is such an open ended question.

If you are willing to modify things a bit, I think you can stuff 6x9's into the rear doors as well. Don't have window stuff to worry about for clearance, so, depth isn't an issue...... Gonna do amplifiers as well? Does the truck have the infinity system stock?

Old 12-11-2017, 02:20 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That is such an open ended question.

If you are willing to modify things a bit, I think you can stuff 6x9's into the rear doors as well. Don't have window stuff to worry about for clearance, so, depth isn't an issue...... Gonna do amplifiers as well? Does the truck have the infinity system stock?
Sorry should have been more specific lol no infinity, but yes amplifiers to run the speakers. Rock wants to see my truck before they can recommend anything but they are a drive away from me especially since they are in the way coast and I'm in the West atm

Old 12-11-2017, 02:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

is there a budget? Or do you just get to pick stuff out? (I need a gig like that.....)

Old 12-11-2017, 06:49 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

is there a budget? Or do you just get to pick stuff out? (I need a gig like that.....)
I can choose anything they carry. I tried researching it but it got confusing. They say if you have a low power radio you want high power speaker etc. To complicated for me.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

So, ignore all that, pic the head unit you want, and start building outward. Doesn't matter what the power output of the head unit is, you can always add amps. (or, if it has pre-amp outputs.... just use those.)

Old 12-11-2017, 07:26 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Are you doing the install? If you have an open check book to get gear go crazy! Twin 8" subs in the front doors along with mids and tweeters. Massive sub woofer and plenty of amps! ETC ETC ETC....

Old 12-11-2017, 09:42 PM
jsmith1969
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, ignore all that, pic the head unit you want, and start building outward. Doesn't matter what the power output of the head unit is, you can always add amps. (or, if it has pre-amp outputs.... just use those.)
This. Pick a good head unit with 3) 4volt(advantage of 4v vs 2v is can run amps at lower gain setting and get full power) preamp outs(front,rear,sub)

Old 12-12-2017, 02:33 AM
Maximillio
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You want to try and match your speakers with whatever you're going to be driving them with, likely an amp in your case. For example, My headunit is a 5/6 (LR Sub? What?) channel pre-amp outs, and I'm running a full 5 channel JBL amp in my truck, and took good care to match the SNR, RMS Wattage, and other things to the amp/speaker combos, and stayed within the same company for speakers, and similar product line for front/rear speakers, to help get similar timbre and sound from the speakers all around since similar materials. Sounds completely bitching and crystal clear sound wise if you take this approach and do alot of study.

Have dual 10inch shallow mounts behind the seat, 3-way speakers in rear, and then since I had infinity system, I have components up front with 6.5in in the door (or some size that fit in with a 6x9 adapter) and then tweeters in the pillars. Ran all new wires where I could (not really needed but meh).

It also helps when your brother is an audio engineer and has read quite a few books on the subject/related and could explain it to me and help me choose :P

Old 12-13-2017, 11:38 PM
brian102
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldn't normally say this, but sound deadening is mandatory on these rigs. peel n stick, dynamat, whatever... i have never seen so much rattle outside of the beater backup semi at work. my new system is clean till about half volume when the plastic starts slapping around... not sure if the metal is rattling too, cant hear it over the plastic and stereo. i've never even considered the stuff seriously before this rig. i've done over 20 systems and this is the first time i honestly think it would make a necessary difference. it always makes a difference with the windows up at mid level not driving... but windows down, stereo cranked on the highway, which is how i spend 90% of my time listening, you would be hard pressed to make out an audible difference.

also, run new speaker wire... the stuff in these trucks is like 24ga, not even close to good enough if you're pushing any kind of power. it is the thinnest factory speaker wire i have seen and it's usually pathetic as is. power wire for the deck is fine if you are running an amp. i would consider upping the battery wire to 10ga if you plan to power the speakers deck only. i think the factory wire was 16, but might have been 18ga.

Last edited by brian102; 12-13-2017 at 11:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Audio Help