2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Question Factory stereo no sound,'99 Dakota.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 05:04 PM
Dean Parker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question Factory stereo no sound,'99 Dakota.

Hi all, new to Dakota trucks, just bought a nice one owner 1999 SLT 4X4 extended cab with the 5.2 magnum and there is no sound from the stereo.
Everything appears to work, all lights are on ,radio shows stations picked up, CD player accepts discs and shows tracking.
It all seems right but turn the volume **** and nothing happens. I've Googled it and found others have had this problem and had to replace the head.
It's the rather large unit with the radio/cassette/CD all in one and a little joy stick to control speaker balance, from what I've found it came in many Chrysler products.
I see quite a few on eBay ranging from " just for parts" to remanufactured the latter quite expensive at around $250. Looks like a good used one that has had all functions tested will run anywhere from about $75 to $150. So before I pull the trigger on one my questions are am I missing something to check and are these units plug and play if I buy one? Some ads say something about some units needing to be " flashed" at a dealer. Am I better off just getting an aftermarket stereo? I'd hate to buy one and soon after have the same issue if these are an unreliable unit but if not I'd like to keep it stock. Thanks in advance for any replies!

Old 12-17-2017, 07:48 PM
Skreelink
Veteran

The radio you described is the same as my buddy's 99 Ram 1500 with the little stick to control balance. He's on his second head unit, from the same issue. His current one, only the right rear channel works. If you want a stock unit, I suggest hitting a junkyard for it so you don't spend much and maybe luck out. As far as "flashed" from a dealer, it depends on if you have factory security. A lot of honda people have that issue with factory units, some have to go to the dealership to have their stereo matched so it works after simply disconnecting the battery. I would suggest highly to get an aftermarket.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:24 PM
Dean Parker

Originally Posted by Skreelink
The radio you described is the same as my buddy's 99 Ram 1500 with the little stick to control balance. He's on his second head unit, from the same issue. His current one, only the right rear channel works. If you want a stock unit, I suggest hitting a junkyard for it so you don't spend much and maybe luck out. As far as "flashed" from a dealer, it depends on if you have factory security. A lot of honda people have that issue with factory units, some have to go to the dealership to have their stereo matched so it works after simply disconnecting the battery. I would suggest highly to get an aftermarket.
Thanks a lot for the info!

Old 12-18-2017, 08:45 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

As far as I know the radios are not flashed.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:40 PM
Dean Parker

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
As far as I know the radios are not flashed.
Thanks, I bought one off eBay for not too much that looks in great shape, tested to work on all functions and has a 30 day warranty.
Hopefully it lasts a while.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:48 PM
Dean Parker

Well crap! Installed the new head unit and still no sound. I guess I should have bought an amp instead.
Back to eBay to spend more money and hope it works.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:14 PM
Skreelink
Veteran

I would check the speakers first, maybe they're blown. It'd suck if that was the issue and your original radio was just fine... Although speakers aren't too bad on cost.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:45 PM
Dean Parker
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Skreelink
I would check the speakers first, maybe they're blown. It'd suck if that was the issue and your original radio was just fine... Although speakers aren't too bad on cost.
I can't imagine all the speakers would be blown, the amp fuse was bad but I replaced it and still no sound. One owner truck and unmolested.I can't find any info online about how to replace the amp other than it's located in the kick panel on the passenger side. Not sure how that comes apart, need the part number for the amp before I search for one.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Does your truck have the Infinity system?

Old 12-23-2017, 12:53 PM
Dean Parker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Does your truck have the Infinity system?
Yes, I guess there's an amp in the kick panel on the passenger side but I'm not sure how that panel comes off.

Quick Reply: Question Factory stereo no sound,'99 Dakota.