3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2015 rear lift gate won't latch

Old 01-15-2018, 09:06 PM
Papajohn63
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 rear lift gate won't latch

My 2015 Durango developed an issue where the rear lift gate wont latch when it closes. I have disconnected the battery so the lights won't stay on and the actuator won't keep trying to close the door. Any ideas as to what is causing this problem?

Old 01-16-2018, 09:38 AM
Prospect62
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you determine that nothing is obstructing the gate from closing, it may just need the "tailgate module" flashed.

My 2011 was exhibiting similar symptoms and doing all sorts of wacky things, but basically it would never pull itself closed all the way when closing by itself. The dealer flashed the tailgate module and all was well. It still surprises me to this day how a module needing an update can mimic a purely mechanical problem. Oh well. Something to consider if you do go to the dealer, ask for them to try that first. I think they charge about a half hour labor to do a "flash" ($35.00) but some dealers will do it at no cost of you have them do it with an oil change or something.

In the meantime, you can push it closed firmly so you're light doesn't stay on.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:36 AM
coldsteel
Captain

I had this happen, 1x so I pulled the fuse from the box under the hood and it reset and then latched normally from then on.

Old 12-05-2022, 02:59 PM
DurangoDEE

Originally Posted by Papajohn63
My 2015 Durango developed an issue where the rear lift gate wont latch when it closes. I have disconnected the battery so the lights won't stay on and the actuator won't keep trying to close the door. Any ideas as to what is causing this problem?

DID YOU EVER FIGURE OUT THE PROBLEM ? I am having he same issure

Old 02-04-2023, 09:45 AM
DonMorg

Originally Posted by Papajohn63
what fuse did you pull exactly ? I think I pulled them all in the engine bay and still doesn’t latch.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 rear lift gate won't latch