2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ignition locked

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 09:58 PM
Lascar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition locked

I can't turn the key to start my 1999 Ram van. The steering wheel is locked solid, no play at all. I am going to jack up a rear wheel and see if that will relieve any binding. If the lock is the problem I will attack that if necessary. Right now it is in my garage, the wheel is turned hard left and I need to get it running. It started fine to or three times this morning before it locked up. This is a conversion van, a motor home with running water, water heater,furnace, toilet, shower,cook top,microwave, fridge and a generator with a beefed up suspension and a GVW of around 8700 pounds. my plan was to raise it up on my two post lift,and change the oil. Turns out there is no way to get it on the lift, I would need like 12 inch spacers in the front and then there is no place that the rear arms can line up with the frame.
Any way, let me know if you have a solution to my lock problem please.
Lascar

Old 01-16-2018, 07:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Jack up the front end of the truck, to take the pressure off the steering.......

Old 01-16-2018, 12:13 PM
Lascar

I did jack up the front, but it didn't help. so, maybe jacking up a rear wheel will take pressure of of the drive line It will have to be fixed where it sits, with the wheel turned hard left, It can't be towed. It is really a tight fit in my garage, Zero clearance in front and about an inch between it and the door

Old 01-16-2018, 06:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

It isn't the driveline that is causing the isssue, either the steering wheel is jammed hard against the lock pin, so you can't turn the key, or something else failed.....

Old 01-17-2018, 12:45 PM
Lascar

Hey You is correct, Just by pulling the steering wheel really hard to the left, I got the ignition unlocked.
Thanks to all for your help.
Lascar

Quick Reply: Ignition locked