3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Tow Capacity - 7,200 lbs *when properly equipped

Old 01-15-2018, 11:00 PM
maxtodon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Capacity - 7,200 lbs *when properly equipped

Hi all.

Signed up because I am in the market for a 3rd Gen Dakota Crew Cab.

Tow capacity is a priority for me and I've seen that the max capacity for the 3rd Gen Dakota is 7,200 lbs (which would do me nicely), but this is always qualified as "when properly equipped."

I turn to you experts to ask - what constitutes "properly equipped?"

I assume it means at least the 4.7L VB, but there is likely some optional tow package required as well, right?

What is the option or options that must be present to reach that max potential? And how could I verify that those options were present on a used truck? I've found that salesmen and even some private sellers aren't always so well versed in these kinds of details.

Thanks a ton.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Tow package, or possibly, heavy duty package. (very similar in equipment.....) Gear ratios, engine and trans..... Looking for new, or used? New... well, should be listed on the sticker. If it's used, go here, click on equipment listing, enter the VIN, and it will tell you everything on the truck, including tow rating.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:49 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

Not sure what year you're looking at, but here is the 07 chart. Tow package should be a must for you.

Trailer Tow Group — Includes Class IV receiver, 7- and 4-pin wiring, 750-amp battery, heavy-duty engine cooling,
auxiliary transmission cooler (automatic transmission), power steering cooler, and 6”x9” power, heated mirrors (SLT/Laramie)

WM9kP2C.png
9yCnJCd.png
SHlTpJz.png

Last edited by dakotaff; 01-16-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:22 PM
maxtodon

Thanks a lot, Guys. Very much appreciated.

I ran the VINs of 6 or 7 V8/RWD used Dakotas I was looking at and none of them specifically had Trailer Tow Group listed on their build sheet. About half had heavy-duty engine cooling, auxiliary transmission cooler, power steering cooler, and 6”x9” power mirrors. But those ones did not list 4 and 7 pin wiring or a 750 amp battery. More confusing, they all listed a 3.55 axle ratio.

I guess it's possible that many people selected those options without getting the complete tow group and that there just aren't a lot of tow group equipped Dakotas on the used market right now.

Kind of frustrating that it's not possible to search by option package, especially with something as important as tow equipment.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:04 PM
rafa3

My 2007 Dakota came with the factory tow package. Ran the VIN and it showed up as 4.7L V8 FFV, 600 amp battery, 5 speed 545RFE, GVW Rating - 6010#, and 3.55 Rear Axle Ratio. One interesting thing which I haven't seen on any other 3rd gen Dakota's and is on mine is that it shows up with "Brake Control". I assume this means the trailer brake. When I bought this truck in 2012 I was told it was factory installed. I know I was the 2nd owner and the 1st had it as a fleet vehicle. I've towed smaller trailers up to 8x12 but have never used the trailer brake.

What's strange is that it does not list the class IV reciever, with 7 pin wiring harness and 7 to 4 pin wiring adapter on my truck. Pretty sure it's factory. Also not listed are the Heavy Duty Engine or Trans Cooler you mentioned. Guess mine doesn't have those options but it does list having Heavy Duty Shock Absorber and Heavy Duty Suspension.

Most I have ever towed was probably in the 2000-2500 lb range. And that was with ease. But I have seen a few Dakota's tow 5th wheel trailers and campers before. Pretty sure with more added equipment.

Last edited by rafa3; 01-16-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:45 PM
maxtodon

Yeah, I'm really pleased to know about being able to use the VIN to pull the build sheet - will be very helpful while shopping - but can't tell for sure how complete/reliable the info there is.

It would be good to see what the build sheet looked like for a Dakota that absolutely, definitely had the 7,200 lbs max towing capacity from the factory. If anyone on here knows that's what they have and would be generous enough with their time to run your vin and post the results, I'd be most grateful.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:19 PM
dakotaff
Champion

Copy the link below, and replace the VIN at the end with yours, and paste it into a new tab.
There will be a list of the truck with Standard Equipment, followed by Optional Equipment.

https://www.dodge.com/webselfservice...ervlet?vin=VIN

This is listed under Optional Equipment for my truck, with Tow Group.
(Partial list only, but it shows Tow Group Items to look out for.)

Heavy Duty Service Group
Interior Convenience Group
Trailer Tow Group Security Group
Mutually Exclusive Package 750 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
Aux In-Tank Transmission Oil Cooler
Class IV Receiver Hitch
7 Pin Wiring Harness

Old 01-16-2018, 09:45 PM
maxtodon

That's great, thanks. Now I know how it's listed and what to look for.

Does your truck also have a 3.92 axle gear?

Old 01-16-2018, 09:57 PM
dakotaff
Champion

Originally Posted by maxtodon
That's great, thanks. Now I know how it's listed and what to look for.

Does your truck also have a 3.92 axle gear?
No, 3.55.

Also, I edited the above post, I forgot to add the whole towing chart earlier.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:17 PM
maxtodon

Awesome. Thank you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tow Capacity - 7,200 lbs *when properly equipped