Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 05:20 PM
whatzleft
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions

I just purchased a 2018 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 cb, lb 6.7 diesel and I have some questions. I have owned older Ford powerstrokes, but nothing ever this new.
I keep hearing about a EBrake I'm guessing that's exhaust brake, and not electric or emergency. It appears my truck doesn't have the exhaust brake, or at least I don't see the button for it anywhere. I do have tow/haul mode however. My question is, am I missing something, and what does the exhaust brake do compared to the tow/haul mode?
Another question is warm up and idle time. Should you let this truck warm up winter or summer, or just crank it and go once the oil pressure comes up? I realize in extreme cold warm up is probably a good idea. Idle time? Is it okay to idle this truck say 10-15 minutes like for just jumping out to run back in the house or to keep from restarting 5 minutes later?
I have about 600 miles on it now, is it time to drive it like I stole it? I do run around town a lot in it also, should I get it out and run it hard after some local driving?
thanks for any input on these questions or anything you may want to add.
I pull a 14k 5er about 12 times a yr.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:42 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Do you have an owners manual?

Old 01-17-2018, 07:41 PM
whatzleft

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Do you have an owners manual?
yes, doesn't even mention e brake or tow/haul, not much on idling or the things I mentioned. Least not what I have seen anyway

Old 01-18-2018, 04:06 PM
02Flstfi

There should be some buttons below the Radio and HVAC Controls. Buttons like Vented Seat Heated Seat. On my 2013 that is where the Exhaust Brake is turned on and off or auto. I am at work right now so I can not see the exact Logo but for some reason I think it is a P.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:49 PM
whatzleft

Originally Posted by 02Flstfi
There should be some buttons below the Radio and HVAC Controls. Buttons like Vented Seat Heated Seat. On my 2013 that is where the Exhaust Brake is turned on and off or auto. I am at work right now so I can not see the exact Logo but for some reason I think it is a P.
yeah, I have the heated seats and other buttons, but no button where e brake would be, so I'm sure it doesn't have it. Does have tow/haul. Is there that big of a difference between the two, or do they act the same.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:20 PM
02Flstfi

Check out page 5 of the Starting and Operating instruction from the 2017 Ram Diesel Supplement Owners Manual
https://www.mopar.com/moparsvc/twedd...ations?id=2035

Old 01-21-2018, 11:49 PM
whatzleft

Originally Posted by 02Flstfi
Check out page 5 of the Starting and Operating instruction from the 2017 Ram Diesel Supplement Owners Manual
https://www.mopar.com/moparsvc/twedd...ations?id=2035
I was pretty brain dead I guess. Finally found it, and wow, glad I did. Thanks for the help

Old 01-22-2018, 08:48 AM
02Flstfi

You are welcome glad that it helped.

Quick Reply: questions