3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hemi needs help

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 02:14 PM
05!RAM!HEMI!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi help

Sorry for any mistakes or misplacements this is my first time I'm a 58 year old tech virgin
I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 SLT with only 67000 miles. I have only done a few mods over all these years such as cold air intake, flow master 50 muffler, and a 3" body lift. My problem is I bought and tried to install a superchip tuner several years ago and half way through the programmer quit working. Talked to super chip sent them tuner resent tuner you get the idea. Fast forward 11years truck seems to be running good and at 60000 mile I had dealer do what they called a hemi tune. Not knowing not much about computer driven engines I am wondering if my stock tune was moved to tuner and only part or the tune went to truck and like I said truck seems to run fine if I try to install a new different tuner will it remove any tune that is in computer and I see some improvement ? I know it's getting old but with so few miles I would thing the back tiers should break loss a little . Any comments ?

Sorry for any mistakes or misplacements this is my first time I'm a 58 year old tech virgin
I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 SLT with only 67000 miles. I have only done a few mods over all these years such as cold air intake, flow master 50 muffler, and a 3" body lift. My problem is I bought and tried to install a superchip tuner several years ago and half way through the programmer quit working. Talked to super chip sent them tuner resent tuner you get the idea. Fast forward 11years truck seems to be running good and at 60000 mile I had dealer do what they called a hemi tune. Not knowing not much about computer driven engines I am wondering if my stock tune was moved to tuner and only part or the tune went to truck and like I said truck seems to run fine if I try to install a new different tuner will it remove any tune that is in computer and I see some improvement ? I know it's getting old but with so few miles I would thing the back tiers should break loss a little . Any comments ?

Last edited by jkeaton; 01-18-2018 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Duplicate
Old 01-18-2018, 07:16 PM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

What is your gear ratio and tire size? Do you have the anti-spin rear end? All these make a big difference in performance. I gather from your post that you want to stomp on the gas pedal and smoke some tires. Definitely something I can relate to.
My 05 Ram Hemi 4x4 had the 3.55 differential and I put the 265 tires on it. I couldn't get more than a chirp from the tire from a dead stop. I did not have anti-spin so I was just turning one tire. I have a stop light in my neighborhood that is slightly up hill, and has a sharp turn. Leaving that light and turning onto the main road was the only place I could get any rubber.
My current Ram is an 08 Hemi, 2wd with 3.92 axle and anti-spin rear end (towing package). I can lay a nice 4 or 5 foot black mark with this setup. The acceleration difference between the 3.92 and 3.55 is vastly different, and I can appreciate why many Ram owners get the 4.56 rear end.
I don't know much about tuning. I just wanted to give you my experience with owning two Rams.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:18 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jrsick
What is your gear ratio and tire size? Do you have the anti-spin rear end? All these make a big difference in performance. I gather from your post that you want to stomp on the gas pedal and smoke some tires. Definitely something I can relate to.
My 05 Ram Hemi 4x4 had the 3.55 differential and I put the 265 tires on it. I couldn't get more than a chirp from the tire from a dead stop. I did not have anti-spin so I was just turning one tire. I have a stop light in my neighborhood that is slightly up hill, and has a sharp turn. Leaving that light and turning onto the main road was the only place I could get any rubber.
My current Ram is an 08 Hemi, 2wd with 3.92 axle and anti-spin rear end (towing package). I can lay a nice 4 or 5 foot black mark with this setup. The acceleration difference between the 3.92 and 3.55 is vastly different, and I can appreciate why many Ram owners get the 4.56 rear end.
I don't know much about tuning. I just wanted to give you my experience with owning two Rams.
Not quite the answer he was looking for lol...

Originally Posted by 05!RAM!HEMI!
First, was the Superchips tuner problem fixed, i.e. the tuner was able to load? What exactly is this so called "hemi tune" the dealer did (what's involved)? With any handheld tuner, it takes whatever is in the PCM and stores it in the tuner. With a Superchips tuner, it detects whether you have the stock tune or not. Won't load a performance tune if your PCM isn't stock. Depending on your tire diameter, width and gear ratio dictates the ability to spin your tires. Spinning tires are wasted power though. Doesn't do any good if you can't get the power down.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:15 PM
05!RAM!HEMI!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies . Gears 3.92 axle and anti-spin rear end (towing package) tires 275/60/20 on heavy *** stock rims I don't need the tires to break loose or spin every tine time I floor it . I do enjoy a little corner slid but I what I really like is that put back in you seat feeling which is what I was hoping for with this setup. At the time of installation the superchip tuner indicated that stock tune was moved to tuner and I was in the middle of setting up trans shift points and the tuner just shut down. Spent over a year back ad forth with super chip to no avail. They say must be OBD sensor dealer says no. The hemi tune was to be all plugs, plug wires, and run a full diagnostic on engine. All seems ok, maybe I'm just hoping for more than what a stock 5.7 hemi can give that's why I was looking into a different tuner and if it will work.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:34 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, so a basic tuneup. Sounds like you may have gotten a bad programmer. Without internal engine mods Superchips is the best tuner for these year trucks.

Quick Reply: hemi needs help