3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 Ram 1500 Cruise control intermittent problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 01:03 PM
CTX
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Ram 1500 Cruise control intermittent problem

Once in a while when I leave work to head home I will initiate "cruise control" and it is displayed on the dash but it actually IS NOT working. In order for it to work again I have to stop, engage park (auto trans), ignition off, then on again, then restart and all good after that. Signs of a sensor failing? If I decide to just say "screw-it" and drive home w/o cc, all is well -- the engine still runs and idles like a champ!

thx again,
Chris

Old 01-23-2018, 03:43 AM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I also have a cruise control problem on my 2004. It turns itself off, completely off, at 72 mph. Cannot be turned on again until speed is reduced to about 65 mph. Speed up, tapping the accelerator button, turns off again. On long trips of straight flat multilane freeways with the higher speed limits, it is really annoying to not be able to use the cruise control!

Haven't had any time to root it out and resolve it yet. When I do and if anything notable is found/fixed I can come back here to update. Don't hold out on me though, it might be months before I get to it. I expect to find something really simple, like a problem with the brake pedal sensor switch, wiring connector, or wiring short/damage related to the brake or gas pedals.

Last edited by FaceDeAce; 01-25-2018 at 12:29 AM.

Quick Reply: 2005 Ram 1500 Cruise control intermittent problem