2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2005 Neon SXT, A/T, no start after weird situation

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 01:30 PM
BIGDANO
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Neon SXT, A/T, no start after weird situation

I was thinking about replacing the TRS (Transmission Range Sensor), but that sounds like a job that is above my skill/desire level. Here's what happened:

I was driving in the snow, dropping it into the lowest gear to slow down and such, so I was giving the tranny a bit of a workout. I pulled into my spot and shut it down while still in Drive (possibly low gear, the memory isn't what it used to be.) I realized it shortly after shutting it down and threw it in Park. Went inside the grocery store, did some shopping, came out and she fired up fine. Threw it in Reverse, she backed up fine, threw it into Drive or possibly Low, took my foot off the brake and she continued backing up in Reverse. Threw it in all forward gears, remained in reverse. Decided to shut her down and put on the hazards. Tried to fire it back up, no start. Power still comes to dash, radio comes on. Tried starting in all manner of different transmission positions, no start.

Now, I know it's not wise to shut down an A/T vehicle while still in a forward gear, but I've never had a vehicle do this. In my defense, this is the wife's car and I drive a stick (92 Honda Accord) and I smoke massive amounts of weed and kinda forgot which vehicle I was in. Any ideas are GREATLY appreciated. Just bought this thing less than a month ago.....

Old 01-22-2018, 06:29 PM
BIGDANO
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Figured it out after looking under the air box. Linkage was disconnected between shifter and tranny, stuck in reverse. Winter time blues!

Quick Reply: 2005 Neon SXT, A/T, no start after weird situation