3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Problems with oil blowing back into intake.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 02:03 AM
ardodd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with oil blowing back into intake.

I own a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 (4x4) ST package - Automatic - 5.7L Hemi

I bought the truck in 2014 with 139,000 miles on it. Run like a dream for me and never had a problem at all, other than it would go sideways if you hit the accelerator hard. All that ended when I let my son use it for a few months, it blowed a timing gear gasket and was dumping water into the oil. He would not listen me and decided to drive it anyways. Yes it destroyed the engine.

I bought a Re-manufactured Hemi Engine from Remanns and installed it myself. I have 3200 miles on the new Re-manufactured engine, and my brother bothered it from me and ran it out of gas. Not a big deal really, except now the engine is blowing grey smoke out the exhaust and lost all horsepower. I changed out all 16 plugs and put all new plug wire harness on it. I then removed the intake and found at least half a quart of oil inside the intake. So I cleaned it out completely and replaced the PCV valve and double checked the hoses to make sure they were clear and free of any obstructions.

The engine seems to building up too much pressure inside of it and pushes the oil up through the oil filler neck into the intake still. Before I pull the engine out and throw a fit to Remanns demanding another engine, does anyone know of any reason or cause i am missing or not understanding.

I even removed all plugs (which half of them are fouled out will oil) and removed the valve covers to check all valve springs which seemed fine.

Before I drive myself crazy and look stupid. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this re-manufactured engine to work like the beastly HEMI I use to own.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:20 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

do a dry then wet compression test. if the numbers change; you have a blowby gas problem that the pcv system cannot handle. call for warranty. STOP lending your truck out.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:42 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by primem
do a dry then wet compression test. if the numbers change; you have a blowby gas problem that the pcv system cannot handle. call for warranty. STOP lending your truck out.
Definitely!

Old 02-16-2018, 11:20 AM
ardodd

Thank you both,

The loaning my truck out has resolved itself, as i can't even drive the truck myself right now.

I will buy the compression test set once I get my Veterans disability check on the 1st of the month.

Last night I decided to try a few new things:
1) Sealed off the intake. And tried to pull a vacuum test on the air port of the oil filler neck. NEGATIVE...would not seal off and pull a vacuum.
2) Removed the PCV valve and blowed air into the port. Air come out of the intake and oil filler neck. POSITIVE
3) Re-installed PCV valve and blowed air through the oil filler neck. Air come out of the intake. POSITIVE
4) Removed the PCV valve and blowed air through the oil filler neck again. Air come out of the intake and PCV valve port. POSITIVE
5) Removed the K&N Air filter kit and put my stock air system back on. NEGATIVE change with the oil blowing back into intake.

**Concern**
I drove it up the road a quarter mile and back. Once I got back I removed the oil filler cap and had smoke coming out of the inside of the engine. Not a good sign if the smoke is coming out of the engine after running at idle and warming up the engine.

That is what i get for buying a Re-Manufactured engine assembled in Mexico. I should of did the rebuild on my original engine myself or had it rebuilt.

Sounds like a Rebuild is in the near future.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:28 PM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Park the truck. Get the wrenches out. No options. Problem is deep. ............ ( that is of course assuming that dipstick tube is seated properly and stick is reading correctly, meaning this isn't as simple as being overfilled with oil. )

Last edited by FaceDeAce; 02-16-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:07 PM
3rdgens4sell
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What brand reman is it so i can stay away from it? Sounds like the rings are messed up and or the valves are loose in the guides. Did you buy a short block or long block? Also i agree with the compression test needing done

Old 02-16-2018, 07:02 PM
ardodd

Originally Posted by 3rdgens4sell
What brand reman is it so i can stay away from it? Sounds like the rings are messed up and or the valves are loose in the guides. Did you buy a short block or long block? Also i agree with the compression test needing done
Remanns

I am asking around to see if anyone has a compression tool set i can borrow.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Check with your local parts store, they should be able to 'rent' you one.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:19 PM
ardodd

Thank you. I will have to wait til the first of the month when I get my disability check from the Veterans Administration. As the local parts house requires you to buy the tool and once your done return it for refund (Rental)

Old 02-17-2018, 07:09 PM
3rdgens4sell
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was just thinking about your problem. Might be worth pulling the valve cover and checking that the oil returns/drains for the heads arent plugged. It would be easy to check and not need a tester

Quick Reply: Problems with oil blowing back into intake.