1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Alert Buzzer

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 05:47 PM
stymie222
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alert Buzzer

If you leave your keys in the ignition, or leave your headlights on, an alarm buzzer will sound
Problem is- mine is staying on all the time. Occasionally it will shut of when I go over a bump or at times, I can't figure out why.
It is located on the left wall driver's side- under the dash. Right alongside the silver round flasher unit. (black rectangular) Does it unplug ? Will unplugging it , without replacing it cause any problems ?
It may be the sending units in the steering column or light switch rather than the module itself.

Thanks.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:19 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

I would start by checking the door jamb switches

Old 02-19-2018, 06:42 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by stymie222
If you leave your keys in the ignition, or leave your headlights on, an alarm buzzer will sound
Problem is- mine is staying on all the time. Occasionally it will shut of when I go over a bump or at times, I can't figure out why.
It is located on the left wall driver's side- under the dash. Right alongside the silver round flasher unit. (black rectangular) Does it unplug ? Will unplugging it , without replacing it cause any problems ?
It may be the sending units in the steering column or light switch rather than the module itself.

Thanks.
You can unplug it with no ill effects. The wire that goes to the plunger on the pillar has a plug that you can just undo. Icannot believe you can handle having that annoying buzz all the time. You're quite the stoic haha. BTW there is one on the passenger side too. Could be either of them. Oh, or the seatbelt one too. Or just pull the buzzer, it's fine.

Last edited by tbugden; 02-19-2018 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:13 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
I would start by checking the door jamb switches
Ditto...the buzzer is part of the plunger switch in the door jam. It's a Normally Closed, Held Open switch, such that when the door is closed, the switch plunger is made and the switch contact is open, interrupting the ground to the buzzer/ignition lamp. If the plunger is gone, or the switch is malfunctioned, it's normal contact state is closed, and hence the always on buzzer. Is your ignition lamp bulb always on too (or maybe its burned out and you don't notice)?

Old 02-20-2018, 11:55 AM
stymie222
Amateur
Default Thanks

Thanks to all of you for helping.
Going to the junk yard soon. Maybe I can pick up a couple of those door jamb switches. If not, I really don't need the warning that much anymore.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:52 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Id, buy new. Pretty cheap on rockauto.com. I think it was 2 to 7 dollars.

edit to add. http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/d...mb+switch,4360

Old 02-20-2018, 11:16 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Ayep.

They fail due to age. Why would a boneyard part be any better?

Don't cheap yourself into extra work - buy new ones.

RwP

Old 02-21-2018, 11:00 AM
stymie222
Amateur
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by RalphP
Ayep.

They fail due to age. Why would a boneyard part be any better?

Don't cheap yourself into extra work - buy new ones.

RwP
Truck is now 26 years old. Didn't think they would still have the parts. I've struck out on so many lately.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:00 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by stymie222
Truck is now 26 years old. Didn't think they would still have the parts. I've struck out on so many lately.
This will make you facepalm - Airtex/Wells shows their replacement fitting vehicles back to ... *drum rolls* a 1964 Buick!

That's a common part somewhat like, say, a 1/4-20 bolt or screw.

Now, if it were Dakota only, I could see that; but it's not. It's a "parts bin" part used so many places it's not even funny.

Shucks, you can also find generic alarm switches just like that to substitute if the original fit part ever quits being available.

RwP

Quick Reply: Alert Buzzer