Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Losing Anti-freeze

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 05:34 PM
TechBill
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losing Anti-freeze

2013 Grand Caravan with 3.6 with almost 200k miles

I am losing anti-freeze but I have not start looking for the leak yet. I wanted to ask on here if there any known issue with any of the parts to check for leaks before I go start looking for it or is water pump most likely the culprit?

Thank you

Old 02-23-2018, 07:39 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Water pump, hoses, radiator, heater core, etc.....gotta find out where the leak is first.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:13 PM
TechBill

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Water pump, hoses, radiator, heater core, etc.....gotta find out where the leak is first.

I looked all over and I cannot find the leak. It was blowing cold air and the thermostat was replaced then it start blowing warm air again after awhile it blow cold air so I am assuming it water pump.

Is common for a 3.6L water pump to fail over 150K miles?

Old 02-24-2018, 12:15 PM
TechBill

I can't find any YouTube video on water pump replacement for 3.6L on grand caravan. I assume I will have to replace it from underneath in the wheel well right? Does the engine need to come off the mount and raised?

Thank you

Old 02-25-2018, 06:01 PM
TechBill

I rented a pressure tester and found the leak coming from one of the heater Y connector A piece of plastic ...

I went brought an aftermarket one but is there an instruction anywhere on line installing the aftermarket one? I notice one of the connector seem to be a snap on type? How do I remove the old one? Do I need to get a special tool or I squeeze somewhere on the connector itself to release it?

Also the crimps on the factory hose? I just try to cut it off with a cutter or something? It seem to be made of plastic too

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/d.../grand-caravan

Thank you

Old 02-26-2018, 11:27 AM
milanz
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did this 2 weeks ago on my 2010 SXT 4.0. I just cut out the plastic "Y" and used a 3/4" PEX brass "T" fitting and hose clamps. I also had to get a 5" piece of ordinary 5/8" heater hose to go from the brass "T" to the thermostat. Working great and no evidence of reduced heat output in front or rear. Total cost about $10. Many posts about this on internet and youtube. Seems to be a common problem.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Losing Anti-freeze