2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lifter Won’t Bleed Down

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 12:00 PM
Dycrow27
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter Won’t Bleed Down

Rebuilding my motor I’m sure some will remember my broke off spark plug lol. I’ve got a 360 bored .020, 220xp cam, EQ heads with bigger intake valve from hughes and their stainless adjustable roller tip Chevy 350 rockers and mopar performance roller lifters. I’m setting preload and Hughes recommends 2 turns after zero lash which I think is a bit much but they said 1.5 would be acceptable.

Anyway I can set all rockers but one or two feel like solid lifters zero give meaning I can’t set preload. I’ve left then with pressure from spring no bleed down after days and also no pressure on them and same still hard as a Rock. I don’t want to set preload they should have and then end up having a valve that won’t close. Was thinking because it’s in the 40’s maybe could have something to do with it? Not sure kinda lost at this point.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

If you don't have the intake on yet, take em out, and pull 'em apart. (carefully, there is a ball, and spring in there, the the spring gives things REALLY good range..... don't ask how I know......) See if there is anything obviously obstructing the ports, and they they are installed in the proper orientation.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:57 PM
Dycrow27
Veteran

Hughes air gap is already installed
if I have to pull it I will. But I hope I don’t have to. I’ve been reading on other forums for other hydraulic lifters like in mustangs and such some say run it some say don’t. Seems like everyone has their own opinion lol they are new lifters not saying they cant be messed up!

Old 03-15-2018, 11:15 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I'd find the problem before I went any further. Can you see that the push rod is in the lifter? I'd pull them out and inspect them. The temperature shouldn't matter when adjusting by hand.

Old 03-16-2018, 06:36 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Did you put them in oil and pump them up before you put them in or what? New lifters don't have oil in them so you should be able to move them.

Old 03-17-2018, 01:30 AM
Dycrow27
Veteran

I did pump them up but all the other will bleed down within minutes if they are Rick hard. Turn the motor over setting valves pumps them up. Yes the pushrod is on the lifter. I read somewhere people have had to push on them really hard when they won’t bleed down to push oil out of them. Possibly I pumped them up too much with no pressure back on them like the resistance of a Valve spring.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:43 AM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Then they would all be doing it. I would remove them and find out why they won't compress.

Quick Reply: Lifter Won’t Bleed Down