2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99 ram 1500 360 5.9 will not start now

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 10:02 PM
Wardallj
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 ram 1500 360 5.9 will not start now

one morning my truck would start and was chugging really bad. The truck will not start now. It shot an 0201 code which is injector one, so I swapped the injector and that did nothing. So I did a fuel pressure test and all came out fine. Then I replaced the distributor cap, rotar, plug wires, and plugs. Did nothing, then I replaced the pcm and the crankshaft sensor and that also did nothing. My next step in the camshaft sensor and the ignition coil. If that doesn’t work I feel like burning the truck to the ground. So any suggestions would be awesome!

Old 03-21-2018, 12:28 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Wardallj
one morning my truck would start and was chugging really bad. The truck will not start now. It shot an 0201 code which is injector one, so I swapped the injector and that did nothing. So I did a fuel pressure test and all came out fine. Then I replaced the distributor cap, rotar, plug wires, and plugs. Did nothing, then I replaced the pcm and the crankshaft sensor and that also did nothing. My next step in the camshaft sensor and the ignition coil. If that doesn’t work I feel like burning the truck to the ground. So any suggestions would be awesome!
Are you getting spark? I assume you are getting fuel since you checked fuel pressure.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:38 AM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Go thru the process of what makes any 4 cycle engine operate...fuel, spark, compression, air/getting air in and exhaust out. Also, check to see if anything got shoved up your tailpipe...it could happen! Your cat could be completely clogged. Tap on your cat with something not metal n see what you hear. Pull the upstream O2 sensor n see if she'll fire, you'll surely hear something if she's trying to start. Also, when you did your distributor work, did you remove the dist as an ***'y? If you did, the fuel timing/sync is now off unless you reset it. I would also check to see if the timing chain jumped a tooth or 2. Easiest way to check this is to put the engine at TDC #1 n verify your distributor rotor is pointed at the #1 cylinder...or very near, anyhow. Lastly, pull an injector plug, use a testlight and see if when the light is in one of the plug holes, the light lights up when the ignition switch is set to run.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:05 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Did you just fill the gas tank? There have been some recent threads that were caused by bad gas.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:18 PM
Wardallj
Amateur

I’m going to pull plugs tonight to check for spark, possible change out the coil since I e changed everything else except that and the camshaft sensor on the spark end. And yes fuel pressure was at 45psi

Old 03-22-2018, 07:23 AM
Wardallj
Amateur

Swapped coil for a new one, pulled a plug and tested for spark, got spark. But still won’t start. I’m going to swap the camshaft sensor next and if that doesn’t work. I literally have no idea what to look at next

Old 03-22-2018, 07:48 AM
true blue
Veteran

you can fire a parts cannon at the problem and not even come close to fixin' the problem. If you got spark, the next place to look is at the fuel injectors. Are the plugs "wet" with fuel when you pull them out of their socket? While the injector timing can be caused by a bad cam/pickup sensor on the dist, my guess that the more likely culprit is the injector timing...did, you ever move the distributor housing when you did the work on the cap, rotor n wires?

Old 03-24-2018, 07:08 PM
Wardallj
Amateur

I did not, just backed out both screws, pulled and replaced rotar and slapped the new cap on

Old 03-25-2018, 08:08 PM
true blue
Veteran

Have you done an injector test yet? The ECM has got to tell the injector to fire. Rent a noid light from autozone. If all you can get is a test light you can still check to see if the injectors are getting power and signal from the ECM. Pull an injector wire n insert a test light into 1 lead attach the other to ground. If n when the light lights, you got power, the other should give you ECM signal. Attach the alligator clip to the positive of the battery and thre probe to the other lead in the injector socket. Crank the engine and see if the test light flashes.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:05 AM
Wardallj
Amateur

I have done the mood light test when the problem first arose and all checked out fine. How would I figure out the timing for the injectors tho?

Quick Reply: 99 ram 1500 360 5.9 will not start now