1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cost for a Rear End Rebuild on W250?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 05:27 PM
Humboldtw250
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost for a Rear End Rebuild on W250?

So I just bought my first dodge truck a few days ago, a 1991 w250 diesel. One of the pinion gears is chipped in the rear gearing, so I called a few places to get an estimate and between the three I called the costs varied by quite a lot. So I was curious is any of you knew an average cost or how much you paid to get your rear rebuilt at a shop? Thanks!

Old 03-21-2018, 06:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Around where I am, rebuilds for a half-ton rear generally run 1600-2000. (new gears, bearings, seals) I would expect the heavier rear end to be only slightly more expensive.... but, costs can vary WILDLY from place to place..... Last time I needed it to happen, I just bought the parts, and did it myself. But then, I was turnin' wrenches for a livin' back then.....

Old 03-21-2018, 06:48 PM
Humboldtw250

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Around where I am, rebuilds for a half-ton rear generally run 1600-2000. (new gears, bearings, seals) I would expect the heavier rear end to be only slightly more expensive.... but, costs can vary WILDLY from place to place..... Last time I needed it to happen, I just bought the parts, and did it myself. But then, I was turnin' wrenches for a livin' back then.....
Yeah one place quoted me $1700 including parts and labor, and another quoted me $600 plus labor. How difficult is it to rebuild yourself? I’m not much of a mechanic, but I have a couple of relatives that have done a little work on their second gens

Old 03-21-2018, 07:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

If you haven't done it before, or, don't have someone to assist, that has done it (successfully.....) before, not a job I recommend for the shade tree mechanic. Doing it right is tedious, doing it wrong is expensive.

There are likely videos on youtube how to do it, watch a couple, and see what you think.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:28 PM
Humboldtw250

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you haven't done it before, or, don't have someone to assist, that has done it (successfully.....) before, not a job I recommend for the shade tree mechanic. Doing it right is tedious, doing it wrong is expensive.

There are likely videos on youtube how to do it, watch a couple, and see what you think.
thanks man!

Quick Reply: Cost for a Rear End Rebuild on W250?