2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Input Speed Sensor CEL

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 10:45 PM
gavakie
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input Speed Sensor CEL

Really looking for help or advice. CEL keeps coming on for the input speed sensor. Its 97 5.2L. I've replaced the sensor 3 times of the last couple years and it comes back. This is the sensor in the Tranny. I've also replaced the sensor on the rear diff. Not sure what to do. Anyone experience this or offer some help?

Old 04-21-2018, 08:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

What specific code are you getting? Auto trans?

Old 04-21-2018, 10:48 AM
Rick Cohoon

The speed sensor adapter is "indexed" according to how many teeth there are on your internal gear. Make sure it's indexed properly or the gear wont have proper contact with the gearing on the output shaft of the transfer case/transmission.
The other thing to look at is if the gear has worked its way out of the shaft of the adapter. I just had this happen to me on my 97 Dakota not long ago. I replaced the speedo sensor but also removed the adapter into the transfer case with it to inspect the gear. I reinstalled it and it worked fine for awhile then quit again sometime later. When I removed it the 2nd time, the gear was still in the adapter but it had actually popped out of the "detent" that holds it in place. Essentially it had walked out of the insert and was not in constant proper contact with the output shaft. I pushed it back into the adapter until I heard a click, reinstalled it and have not had an issue with it since. I suspect the gear was the problem originally since I did not verify the gear was snapped into the adapter housing properly.
Hope this helps

Old 04-21-2018, 01:35 PM
gavakie
Amateur
Default auto trans

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What specific code are you getting? Auto trans?

Yes its an auto

Old 04-21-2018, 01:37 PM
gavakie
Amateur
Default speed sensor code

Originally Posted by Rick Cohoon
The speed sensor adapter is "indexed" according to how many teeth there are on your internal gear. Make sure it's indexed properly or the gear wont have proper contact with the gearing on the output shaft of the transfer case/transmission.
The other thing to look at is if the gear has worked its way out of the shaft of the adapter. I just had this happen to me on my 97 Dakota not long ago. I replaced the speedo sensor but also removed the adapter into the transfer case with it to inspect the gear. I reinstalled it and it worked fine for awhile then quit again sometime later. When I removed it the 2nd time, the gear was still in the adapter but it had actually popped out of the "detent" that holds it in place. Essentially it had walked out of the insert and was not in constant proper contact with the output shaft. I pushed it back into the adapter until I heard a click, reinstalled it and have not had an issue with it since. I suspect the gear was the problem originally since I did not verify the gear was snapped into the adapter housing properly.
Hope this helps

I am actually getting the speed sensor code. CEL 0720 if I remember correctly. It was making me think it was electrical. I was replacing the sensor on the Transmission. Is their another on the transfer case?

Old 04-21-2018, 04:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, you have a sensor on the tailhousing of the t-case. But, that one is generally called VSS. (vehicle speed sensor) If your speedo isn't working, that is the place to look.

Old 04-23-2018, 01:24 PM
gavakie
Amateur

Speedo is intermittent.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Need to look at the VSS then.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:18 PM
gavakie
Amateur

This damn code has come back. Everytime I think its fixed its not. Tried getting emissions done last night. While they were testing it popped p0720 again. Ive replaced the sensor a few times. Maybe the harness?

Old 10-25-2018, 08:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Is your speedo still being unhappy?

Quick Reply: Input Speed Sensor CEL