1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

AC/Heater not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 01:16 PM
Unclebuck916
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC/Heater not working

Hey so i got an 89 dakota 3.9l. Its the pretty basic model. No cruise control, no tilt steering, no power windows. So recently i was getting my ignition switch replaced and the "mechanic" who was working on it messed up a whole bunch of stuff. Besides not starting in park anymore due to the linkage or something needing adjusting... The main issue i noticed was the heater and ac didnt work after he was done either. Granted i didnt check it for a few days after so i guess it could be coincidence that it went out right after he was working on my ignition switch. So i had him come back and check it and he said there was no power to the ac fuse i believe. He said he thought it was a bad ac clutch relay and he showed me which relay he thought it was. I removed said relay and the truck wouldnt start so i assume that was the wrong relay. Just trying to figure out which relay is which so i can try swapping it out and then going from there if that doesnt work. I already replaced the blower motor resistor. Im just thinking maybe either something in the dash got unplugged while he was working on the ignition if not the relay just going out. Just need some guidance on any checks i can run to diagnose this problem. I have a multimeter and a little bit of mechanical incline but im not a mechanic so please try not to be too vague, it will be much appreciated. Attached is a picture of the only four relays i see under the hood.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:21 PM
Unclebuck916

And when i say the heater and ac arent working i mean there isnt any air moving on any setting. When i turn the ac on i dont hear the compressor click on or anything and the clutch isnt moving. If there is any more info that would help you guys assist me please let me know. I really need to get this issue fixed fast. I dont mind the lack of ac so much but id really like to get it up and running for my nieces, they wont stop saying how hot it is when we're driving and i feel guilty.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:07 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

So basically, you are saying the fan is not blowing? Have you checked all the fuses?

Old 04-25-2018, 02:26 PM
Unclebuck916

Yes the fan is not working. I checked all the fuses, neither of the two ac/heater related fuses were blown. The guy who checked it said that there wasnt any power coming into the 30a ac fuse.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:33 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

The relay you unplugged, was it the one on the left? I think that is the starter relay
I have a 87 service manual and on the 87, that is a starter relay. I dont have the other two.
But if the other two are the same style relay, you could swap them and see if that is it.
But FWIW, I dont believe the 87 has a heater motor relay.
He may be sending you on a wild goose chase!!

Old 04-25-2018, 03:36 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

According to the number stamped on the middle relay, (5233205) that is a fuel pump relay.

Old 04-25-2018, 04:04 PM
Unclebuck916

The middle one was the original one he told me he thought it was and that was the one i unplugged and it wouldnt start. I went and grabbed some relays from the junk yard and tried changing each of the four relays and still nothing. I did discover that there is a short in the circuit which goes to the 5amp fuse which is for the glove box, key in ignition lamps, radio and clock memory, and a few others. Not sure where exactly the short is yet or if that could have anything to do with it even tho that fuse isnt labeled with anything relating to the ac or heater.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:00 PM
Unclebuck916

Could there possibly be a fusable link in between the battery and fuse box that couldve blown maybe? If there is no relay then there has to be either another fuse or a break in the wiring from the battery to the fuse box correct?

Old 04-25-2018, 08:50 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

"Messing with ignition switch" ... I'll bet that either the switch isn't fully plugged into the harness, or it's messed up also.

Presuming it's like my 1988, here's an attached PDF of the ignition switch. Check and see if you have backup lights; if you do, then it's most likely the lead inside the fuse block. If you don't, check that wire back to the ignition switch and verify that it's turning that line on ...

RwP

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1988_Dakota_Ignition_Switch.PDF (125.5 KB, 70 views)
Old 04-25-2018, 11:52 PM
Unclebuck916

Ok so you might be onto something because my reverse lights are not working. So according to that ignition diagram im looking for the black and red wire that is part of the ignition harness? And just tracing that wire to make sure its all plugged in properly and that nothing is obviously wrong with it correct? Thanks in advance for your response. And thanks everyone else who responded i appreciate any help i can get.

Last edited by Unclebuck916; 04-25-2018 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Typo

Quick Reply: AC/Heater not working