2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram 1500 318 truck wont move in drive. But I dont think its my dang tranny!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 12:42 PM
Jcompton5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram 1500 318 truck wont move in drive. But I dont think its my dang tranny!

Sorry for the long post but I've been going crazy.
So i have found about 100 different post like this from years and years back but no one has ever really broke it down or given it a solid answer. Was driving my 01 laramie 318 a couple weeks ago running errons all morning everything working fine, purring like a kitten.. Well as I turned out of a driveway my rear wheel hopped the curb a bit, drive up the road a little ways then trucks slowing down but im still giving it throttle. Anyway pull over realizing my truck isnt accelerating while I was in drive. But my RPMs were raising. Did a quick peak nothing seemed out of place so now im thinking to myself $$$$ great.. Tranny issues.. I throw it in reverse moves just fine. Tried throwing it in 4x4 same thing wont move. It rocks while the rpms blaze but thats about it.. But if i throw it into 1st i move just fine. Shift up to second just fine and eventually shift it into drive and its all good. Until I stop. And when i say all good i mean it will up shift, down shift, smooth as butter.. Up until I stop. No grinding no delay nothing. Tranny fluid is good and clean, pcm isnt throwing any codes whats so ever. I have a feeling its something very simple but I just cant seem to figure it out. But on the other hand ive never dealt with bad transmissions before. Could it be i just knocked a sensor loose? But i play in the mud plenty and would assume it would have happened by now. Torque conveter?( not simple) filter dropped in the tranny pan? (Have not looked just yet) is there a relay that incounters with your tranny? Any help would be real appreciated guys summers right around the corner and i got lots of work and lots of camping to do!!

Old 05-24-2018, 02:49 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Do you have any codes? Sure sounds like you are in limp mode (truck only has 3rd and OD)

Old 05-24-2018, 03:45 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 301 Likes on 284 Posts

I'm wondering if your transmission linkage is in need of adjustment, since you can get the transmission to work by shifting into other gears. Also, make sure your transmission mount (or a motor mount) isn't broken, allowing the transmission to raise up a bit when taking off, which may throw off your shifter linkage.

Old 05-24-2018, 04:47 PM
Jcompton5

No codes. Tranny mount looks good too. Checked sensors and wires other then a bit of dirt theyre all good and intact. Maybe my cat is clogged? But would i still be able to drive from 1st and up?

Old 05-24-2018, 04:48 PM
Jcompton5

Btw im new to the forum here so thanks for the response guys

Old 05-24-2018, 06:22 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcompton5
Btw im new to the forum here so thanks for the response guys
You are welcome. You still may be in limp mode but that should throw acode...

Quick Reply: Ram 1500 318 truck wont move in drive. But I dont think its my dang tranny!