2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 magnum knock on startup

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 05:11 PM
Gharve88
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9 magnum knock on startup

Hey guys any magnum techs out there?
trying to post a short video of my motor when i start it up. Not sure if its posting. But i have a loud knock on startup for a couple of seconds then goes away and im not sure exactly what it is. It does blow bluish smoke and does burn oil. Could it be valves, plenum, or rods? Any help would be appreciated

Old 05-24-2018, 06:19 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Gharve88
Hey guys any magnum techs out there?
trying to post a short video of my motor when i start it up. Not sure if its posting. But i have a loud knock on startup for a couple of seconds then goes away and im not sure exactly what it is. It does blow bluish smoke and does burn oil. Could it be valves, plenum, or rods? Any help would be appreciated
That's your connecting rid bearings. But I won't know for sure unless I see the video (didn't post)

Old 05-24-2018, 06:27 PM
Gharve88
Amateur

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
That's your connecting rid bearings. But I won't know for sure unless I see the video (didn't post)
alright ill keep trying. Not sure how else to post it. But anyways thats what i kinda figured but wasnt 100% sure

Old 06-23-2018, 01:44 PM
rayaa3
Professional

I've owned the v10 for about a year.

Initially I had a symptom where at a cold start (24+ hours cold) the oil pressure dash gauge would take about 5 seconds (counting: 1 Mississippi, 2 Miss..etc) to show oil pressure, and the last 2 seconds before pressure came up I would hear a knock. Then it would be gone.

This last oil change I switched to valvoline high mileage synthetic and stp extended life filter (It was a sale at autozone) Now oil pressure comes up at 3 seconds, and no knock.

Previous oil change was 10w/30 oriellys house brand and wix filter. Those are the only 2 changes on the truck (I don't drive much I only change the oil twice a year, fall and spring, before and after towing season).

I wouldn't call this scientific evidence, but it was very consistent before, and has been gone the last 3 weeks since oil change)

Incidentally on a warm start pressure gauge is up within 2 Mississippi count.

ray
99 2500 v10 4x4

Old 06-23-2018, 01:46 PM
rayaa3
Professional

Ps...posting video....

All I could do was upload to YouTube, then link it here.

I can only directly upload pictures to the forum.

Old 06-23-2018, 01:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Is it a rattle, or clank? My lifters are pretty noisy on first startup after it has sat overnight.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:36 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have noticed on my V10 just after an oil change it is pretty quiet on a cold start. The morning clatter comes back after a week or so. Bought new in '99, but I can't remember when the clatter started.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:58 AM
rayaa3
Professional

Well - I didn't want to take away from the OP thread - but they haven't returned.

On my v10 - I'm pretty sure it's a knock, and not lifter noise...My lifters do cackle at times, my perception is that it comes and goes...It's less noticeable at speed, from inside cab. The lifter noise has a pretty good tempo.

The knock is a slower tempo - think johnny cash - and it sounds like a knock, literally like someone is under the hood knocking on something with a pipe. Usually only knocks about 2-3 times before oil pressure is up and sound goes away.

I'll be curious to see if the 5 seconds from cold start oil pressure coming up returns (and the knock), either with time/miles after an oil change, or possibly with cold weather in the fall.

For the moment the oil pressure comes up in 3 seconds, and no knock...and I'll take it!

Quick Reply: 5.9 magnum knock on startup