2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I have a 46RE transmission & it wont shift into 2nd

Old 05-25-2018, 06:29 PM
TMR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a 46RE transmission & it wont shift into 2nd

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT that wont shift into 2nd gear. 1st & reverse work fine. Can anyone help?

Old 05-26-2018, 08:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Any codes?

Old 05-26-2018, 12:33 PM
TMR

no codes.

Old 05-26-2018, 03:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

When was the last time it was serviced? Fluid/filter change, bands adjusted? How many miles on it?

Old 05-27-2018, 02:01 PM
TMR

My father in law was driving it when came home it wouldn't go into park. He turned the engine off & then put it into park. The next day he pulled the pan & saw a piece of metal up by the front which later found out it was the lever to put into park. He reinstalled it put a new filter & gasket & filled the fluid back up, put it in drive & neutral, rechecked the fluid etc. when he went for a test drive it backed up fine & went into 1st fine but wouldn't shift into second or third etc.. He talked to a neighbor & the neighbor said there were issues with the valve body on that model transmission something about some of the valves hang up or sticking. He then pulled the valve body apart cleaned it up real good, check to make sure none of the valves were sticking & reassembled it & installed the new plastic ***** which came from a transmission shop. this transmission was rebuilt just a short while ago so we're thinking there can't too much wrong. We don't know too much about this transmission but we both have some mechanical skills. Me small engine mechanic & my father in law worked on the jet engines in the Air Force. So we can do this. My father in law decided to replace auto trans control solenoid, the power torque solenoid, & the gov. pressure sensor. I guess he just wanted to make sure that wasn't the problem & so there won't be problems later. That didn't help. The next step is to pull the trans out & rebuild it. But before we do that we thought we would reach out & see if someone can help us with their know how & maybe we won't have to pull it out.

Old 05-27-2018, 02:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Disconnect the 8 pin connector that plugs into the internal harness of the trans. (about halfway back, drivers side.) Go for a drive. Bear in mind, the trans will have ZERO automatic function, no TCC, and no O/D. So, start in first, and up/down shift when appropriate. If the trans goes into the gear you tell it to, when you tell it to, then the problem is the electronics. If it doesn't...... probably time for a rebuild.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:22 AM
TMR

Thank You for your help we'll try that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I have a 46RE transmission & it wont shift into 2nd