3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2002 Dodge Ram 4.7v8 4x4 SLT lifted

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 04:13 AM
Taco Bell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Dodge Ram 4.7v8 4x4 SLT lifted

Sooo my oil pressure gauge went from steady in the middle to just nothing on the highway when I was going to pick up my little brother. I felt it start to lose power pretty bad so I went to the gas station and parked there. Went inside bought some oil and put it in the engine and then let it cool down, while waiting I was looking for any leaks and I didn’t see anything I checked all my fluid levels and I was fine everywhere. I get back in once it’s cooled back off and I try to crank over my engine and I give it some gas (my fuel pump is bad from the previous owner letting it sit for about 6 months) as I’m giving it some gas it cranks over and sounds fine I back up out of my parking space and it dies so I try to start it again and then it blows the oil cap off and smoke comes out from under the hood. I grabbed my fire extinguisher and made sure everything was okay I got more oil for it and drove it over to my dads and parked it there for about three days until I could have my mom take me up there and follow me back just in case I broke down. Before she followed me over there I changed my pcv valve and my broken oil cap and everything was okay until I got to my first big hill and the engine got up to about 3000-3500 rpms and it sounds like my engine is clapping and I see smoke coming from my ac vents it didn’t smell like oil but it smelt bad I finally get over the hill and then my oil gauge kicks back on and It starts ticking real bad so I figured I better just stop there before I **** it up more and left my truck in front of McDonald’s until I could have my friend tow me back to my house. I get it back to my house and there’s no coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant and the oil and transmission fluid are at perfect levels. What do you guys think it is so I have a clue of what to look for when I take this mf apart at me and my grandpas shop

Old 06-19-2018, 08:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Verify oil pressure. If you don't have any, the engine is toast. Picking up a new long block would likely end up being cheaper/easier than rebuilding whats left.

Quick Reply: 2002 Dodge Ram 4.7v8 4x4 SLT lifted