Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: 99 grand caravan tranny issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 09:53 AM
dino67
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 grand caravan tranny issues

Did some reading. Saw alot of mention about going into limp mode. Does this meen falling on its face ? When I start to accelerate,it just falls on its face almost like I am applying the breaks. And then sometimes,rarely,it will start to accelerate again,only to fall on its face again. Reverse works fine,just forward is giving me this issue. Going to try to find the 3 wire splice that I read about and see if that is the problem as far as it going into limp mode.

Also,I friend has an 02 sebring that he is scrapping out,and swears that the tranny is the same,or universal and will work in my 99 caravan. I am having my doubts.The most important being that it will not interface with the computer. And the top two bolts on the sebring are slightly different,but it has two sets of holes on top of the bell housing.

Any advice on my problems would be greatly appreciated. Or a note telling me that I am on the right track.

I could not find anything explaining exactly what limp mode is and how the vehicle acts when it goes into limp mode.

Thanks in advance...

Old 06-20-2018, 10:09 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Limp mode would be accompanied by a check engine light....had it scanned for codes?

Old 06-20-2018, 01:04 PM
dino67

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Limp mode would be accompanied by a check engine light....had it scanned for codes?

No,My buddy with a scan tool is working and can only get by to visit me on the weekends.
I am new to owning a dodge. I know on my GM's there were ways to pull codes without a scan tool.
Is there a way to do this on a dodge vehicle ?

Old 06-20-2018, 01:07 PM
dino67

And it did set a check engine code when it did this the other day. I cleared the code by disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes. And it did not cure the problem.

And thank you for your reply and time.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:09 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

You will need to get the code read to find out what the problem is. Otherwise we can only guess.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:09 PM
dino67

Is what is being referred to as 'limp mode' similar to what I explained in my initial post ? Falling on its face almost like applying the brakes ?

Old 06-20-2018, 01:20 PM
dino67

I have only owned the vehicle for a month now. And the previous owner told me that they had a used tranny put in it not long ago. And a new one before that.
I have heard since that these vehicles have alot of transmission problems...not sure if that is true.

Also,I have another friend that is parting out an02 sebring with a 2.7 motor in it. He is trying to tell me that the transmissions are universal. I was a heavy equipment mechanic back in the 80s,and find this hard to believe that transmissions 3 years apart would be universal. I am thinking that he may be just trying to push a tranny off on me and make a buck. but if this is true,I would definitely be up to giving it a try.
My mechanic friend that I mentioned with the scanner said that there would be computer issues with a tranny swap like that mentioned

Old 06-20-2018, 01:21 PM
dino67

Originally Posted by jkeaton
You will need to get the code read to find out what the problem is. Otherwise we can only guess.
Is there way to pull codes without a scan tool ?

Old 06-28-2018, 12:15 PM
dino67

Originally Posted by dino67
Is there way to pull codes without a scan tool ?
No stored codes,just finished scanning it

Old 06-28-2018, 12:26 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dino67
Did some reading. Saw alot of mention about going into limp mode. Does this meen falling on its face ? When I start to accelerate,it just falls on its face almost like I am applying the breaks. And then sometimes,rarely,it will start to accelerate again,only to fall on its face again. Reverse works fine,just forward is giving me this issue. Going to try to find the 3 wire splice that I read about and see if that is the problem as far as it going into limp mode.

Also,I friend has an 02 sebring that he is scrapping out,and swears that the tranny is the same,or universal and will work in my 99 caravan. I am having my doubts.The most important being that it will not interface with the computer. And the top two bolts on the sebring are slightly different,but it has two sets of holes on top of the bell housing.

Any advice on my problems would be greatly appreciated. Or a note telling me that I am on the right track.

I could not find anything explaining exactly what limp mode is and how the vehicle acts when it goes into limp mode.

Thanks in advance...
The Sebring trans will not work as the 2.7L has a different bellhousing pattern.
Any 96-06 (IIRC) trans will work however. Later ones have stronger internals than the older ones.
Have you tried simply changing the fluid/filter?

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: 99 grand caravan tranny issues