2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans temp gauge

Old 06-21-2018, 10:43 AM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trans temp gauge

Hey everybody. It's been a few years since I've posted in here and WOW how things have changed! It's nice to see some old names still floating around and nice to see new ones as well...
anyway, I've gotten rid of my older 95 ram (400k miles BTW, rusted out from under me.) And now I have a '01-1500. 46RE.
I'm looking at installing a trans temp gauge, and from what I gather, some have used a servo port, and others have used a brass T fitting. What I need to know is, what's better, and what exactly I need to purchase to make it happen. I'm pulling a pop up camper that's around 2500lbs. So need to keep an eye on that temp

Thanks fellas and glad to be back!

Old 06-21-2018, 12:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

There's a couple threads around about this. Problem with the pressure ports is, they don't always have fluid flow. Tapping into a cooler line works pretty good though. There was also a place that made a 'heatsink' type feller, that simply clamped around the line, and you screwed your temp sensor into that. They tend to read about 10 degrees low, so, just keep that in mind. Also, if you have the torque (pro?) app on your phone, and a bluetooth sender on the obd port, trans temp is a bit of data you can get right from the ecm.

Old 06-21-2018, 01:00 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
There's a couple threads around about this. Problem with the pressure ports is, they don't always have fluid flow. Tapping into a cooler line works pretty good though. There was also a place that made a 'heatsink' type feller, that simply clamped around the line, and you screwed your temp sensor into that. They tend to read about 10 degrees low, so, just keep that in mind. Also, if you have the torque (pro?) app on your phone, and a bluetooth sender on the obd port, trans temp is a bit of data you can get right from the ecm.
Ya know...I didn't even think of using the OBD for a sensor. That's pretty genius. Thanks brother!

Old 06-21-2018, 02:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Happy to be of service.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:33 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

From what I'm researching, the obd2 readers don't pick up trans temp? Is this true? I know some readers pick up different things...just need to know if it's possible that trans temp can even be read, and if it can, what the best obd2 reader is for our trucks.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

That bit of data is indeed in the data stream, however, gotta be a pretty good scanner to be able to read it. I *think* the torque pro app will. Not aware of any other reasonably priced software that will though.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:09 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That bit of data is indeed in the data stream, however, gotta be a pretty good scanner to be able to read it. I *think* the torque pro app will. Not aware of any other reasonably priced software that will though.
Any suggestions on a reader that'll do the job?

Old 06-21-2018, 08:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Not just offhand...... I think springing for a 'real' scan tool just to read trans temp would be overkill, but, having one would be nice.

Checking around a bit, the Torque app does indeed read trans temp. It's available for android, and iphone.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:12 PM
Sam Senger
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The camper is not too heavy. I would just get an external cooler and either plumb it inline with existing cooler or by itself and cal it a day. Delete the Trans. line check valve while you are at it. I have a 12x12 inch external inline with existing cooler. Probably overkill since i don't tow but since i deleted the check valve i went on ahead and added one at that time.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:59 AM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Sam Senger
The camper is not too heavy. I would just get an external cooler and either plumb it inline with existing cooler or by itself and cal it a day. Delete the Trans. line check valve while you are at it. I have a 12x12 inch external inline with existing cooler. Probably overkill since i don't tow but since i deleted the check valve i went on ahead and added one at that time.
That's all in the works as well...I'm just being lazy and wanted a way around installing a normal temp gauge. Lol. However, it seems I'm gonna have to buck up and just do a normal gauge in this truck like I did my other ram. Lol

Thanks for the help guys!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trans temp gauge