2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hi, I have a 2001 Dodge ram 4x4 quad cab with the 5.9.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 12:41 AM
tdvs38
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi, I have a 2001 Dodge ram 4x4 quad cab with the 5.9.

I was replacing the plugs and one broke off with the threads still in the motor. I can't seem to get the shield off to even attempt to easy-out the threads. Any suggestions ?

Old 07-15-2018, 09:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

The heat shields are just pressed in. If you work at it, it will indeed come out. (and then just leave it out.....)

Old 07-15-2018, 05:12 PM
tdvs38

I don't plan on putting the shield back on. I don't know why someone would think it was a good idea to put something on that risks damaging the motor or heads because of rust in the plug and it breaking off and now I'm sure when I am prying,pulling,beating that thing off there will be all kinds of crap going in the hole. Bad Idea. Just so you don't hurt the wires ?

Old 07-15-2018, 05:34 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by tdvs38
I don't plan on putting the shield back on. I don't know why someone would think it was a good idea to put something on that risks damaging the motor or heads because of rust in the plug and it breaking off and now I'm sure when I am prying,pulling,beating that thing off there will be all kinds of crap going in the hole. Bad Idea. Just so you don't hurt the wires ?
As you probably know metal absorbs heat, so they were there to absorb heat from the manifold or headers. As a side plug gets hot (heat soak) it didn'td put out a hot spark anymore. They are virtually useless because if you drive long distance (where the engine is at full temperature) eventually the metal absorbed as much heat as possible and the heat transfers to the plug.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Once you have the remains of the plug removed, yank the ASD relay, (disables coil, and injectors) and crank the engine over a few times. It'll blow the crap out of the cylinder.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:33 PM
weazel
Amateur

I had trouble with the heat shields. Hours of trouble. People say the plugs are stripped out and things like that. It is more likely that the socket can't get on the plug and it seems like it is stripped. The heat shield may have rusted and got thicker because of the rust. It might even be bent.

What I did was to use a dremel cutting disc to cut an additional line down the heat shield. There is already one seam on each one. (they are a rolled piece of sheet metal and not welded at the joint) It is nice to cut near the existing gap and pull hard with pliers. Wiggling is the best thing. Some came out easily and others were a lot of work. You can't cut all the way down since the bottom of the heat shield is pressed in. On some I had to twist the metal to break it free from the rust bond.

Another option is a thin wall spark plug socket. (normally 12 point) That might help, I talked to a mechanic at a shop that said he would just use a 12 point thin wall socket to remove it. I tried to find one of those and I couldn't. (just at local stores that is, I didn't look online)

Once you have it remove, don't take out the plug. I put a vacuum cleaner on it (shop vac). That helped. Then I used my air compressor (you could use canned air) to blow out the rest of the rust and stuff that gathers in there. It seems to me that purpose of the heat shield is to provide a place for stuff to gather. Any time I change plugs on any vehicle, I like to vacuum it then blow it out with the compressor. You don't want to make things worst and getting rust and dirt in your cylinder can definitely make things much worst.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:25 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by weazel
I had trouble with the heat shields. Hours of trouble. People say the plugs are stripped out and things like that. It is more likely that the socket can't get on the plug and it seems like it is stripped. The heat shield may have rusted and got thicker because of the rust. It might even be bent.

What I did was to use a dremel cutting disc to cut an additional line down the heat shield. There is already one seam on each one. (they are a rolled piece of sheet metal and not welded at the joint) It is nice to cut near the existing gap and pull hard with pliers. Wiggling is the best thing. Some came out easily and others were a lot of work. You can't cut all the way down since the bottom of the heat shield is pressed in. On some I had to twist the metal to break it free from the rust bond.

Another option is a thin wall spark plug socket. (normally 12 point) That might help, I talked to a mechanic at a shop that said he would just use a 12 point thin wall socket to remove it. I tried to find one of those and I couldn't. (just at local stores that is, I didn't look online)

Once you have it remove, don't take out the plug. I put a vacuum cleaner on it (shop vac). That helped. Then I used my air compressor (you could use canned air) to blow out the rest of the rust and stuff that gathers in there. It seems to me that purpose of the heat shield is to provide a place for stuff to gather. Any time I change plugs on any vehicle, I like to vacuum it then blow it out with the compressor. You don't want to make things worst and getting rust and dirt in your cylinder can definitely make things much worst.
Just a little story for you. I was using a pencil to make sure cylinder 1 was on top dead center on a 440 in my charger and the pencil broke. Leaving roughly 3 in piece of pencil in the cylinder. I ran it like that an thought it have a nice little fire in there lol

Old 07-17-2018, 11:06 AM
tdvs38

Finally got the heat shield off and it was a btch, no room to work on it but got it and used an easy-out and the threads came right out. Thanks for the input.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:19 AM
tdvs38

Champion plug. Bla

Old 07-17-2018, 11:36 AM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Champion plugs. If their product was as good as their marketing........

Quick Reply: Hi, I have a 2001 Dodge ram 4x4 quad cab with the 5.9.