1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Are these symptoms indicative of a circulation door? Blend door?

Old 07-15-2018, 05:12 PM
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are these symptoms indicative of a circulation door? Blend door?

Air blows out of the floor vents nice and strong, as well as the defroster vents. However, when it comes to the vents on the dashboard, the air blows out very weak. The four different fan speeds are still there so the fan appears to be working, it's just that in each of the four stages the airflow is weak. Setting the fan at high in my truck is equivalent to the low setting in any other car I've ever driven.

The AC in the truck doesn't work and I'm not sure why. Not really the issue I'm looking to fix but I just thought I should point it out. That said, the heater air is nice and hot but if I were to slide the temperature switch from hot to cool, it won't blow cool air, the air will still be hot.

When I set the vents to floor vents only, I've noticed that air still comes from the dashboard air vents as well, as if I had it set to bi- level.

Lastly, whenever I'm driving the vehicle, I can feel a significant amount of warm air entering the cab unless I slide the temperature switch all the way to the left which closes off events, I believe that's the setting to circulate the cab air.

It''s probably worth pointing out that the temperature switch cannot be slid all the way to the right, AKA the hot side, because the metal tab that goes into the loop end of the cable worked itself out somehow and though it seems like a simple fix, I have tried mightily on numerous occasions to slip the tab back into the loop end and have not been able to do it.

Does this sound like a circulation door issue, blend door issue? I tried Google prior to posting but wasn't able to come up with anything.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:12 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Well, first, I'd fix that temperature slide; I'd remove the plastic tab and pull that brace out, then rehook it, then reinsert the plastic tab.

As to the rest - before I panicked too much, I'd be checking the vacuum lines and the vacuum canister if you have one.

RwP

Old 07-15-2018, 06:48 PM
Rookie

This isn't from my vehicle but an image I found online. The red circled area that's what I was referring to, the end of that cable came off and no matter what I do I can't get it back on. The slide for the temperature only goes about 2/3 ofhe way to the right, thoit goes all the way to the left. Previously I had removed the dash trim, then unscrewed the heater / AC controls and pulled it out as far as I could without disconnecting anything. Try as I might, I can't connect it again.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:32 PM
RalphP
Champion

Here's the instructions on how to remove the brace at the back; after that, it's fairly easy to pivot the head around to reconnect it. It shows the tab at the blend door; the same tab is at the back of the heater control head, and releases the exact same way.

Remove Temp Control Cable.PDF

RwP

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Remove Temp Control Cable.PDF (186.5 KB, 170 views)
Old 07-16-2018, 01:27 PM
Rookie

Okay I unscrewed the temperature control unit pulled it out as far as it will go, and finally, after 15 or 20 minutes of effort, I was able to get the loop end of the cable back on to the metal tab where it belongs. But now, I have the opposite problem. Before, I was unable to slide the temperature switch all the way to the right. Now, I'm unable to slide it to the left, at all.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:00 PM
RalphP
Champion

Next step is to follow the instructions in the FSM to adjust the cable at the other end.

THEN you worry about the blend door.

Good note: You only have to remove the lower half dash to rotate the HVAC box out to get to it.

I'd highly, HIGHLY recommend obtaining a copy of the factory service manual before you tackle it, though.

Also, it's not on all the way yet; it goes PAST that 90* bend onto the flat on the top, so that it doesn't pop back off.

RwP

Old 07-16-2018, 03:16 PM
Rookie

Thanks. Would a Haynes manual be an FSM? That's my last question on this (hopefully)

Old 07-16-2018, 04:54 PM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by 93422
Thanks. Would a Haynes manual be an FSM? That's my last question on this (hopefully)
He.

Hehe.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uhh... no.

The Factory Service Manual is the Chrysler logo'ed manual that the dealership would have used.

If I had meant a Haynes manual, or a Chilton's, I would have said Haynes or Chilton's.

What year is your Dakota?

RwP

Old 07-16-2018, 04:56 PM
Rookie

Well, as you can see I don't know much about this stuff. And it's a 94. Extended cab, 5.2, 4x4

Old 07-16-2018, 06:16 PM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by 93422
Well, as you can see I don't know much about this stuff. And it's a 94. Extended cab, 5.2, 4x4
For this, the 95 and 96 manuals in the FAQ will do; I'd grab the 95, the 94/95 are sister years and almost identical.

The 1994 manual can also be purchased from RockAuto or used off Ebay (I'd suggest digital, that's about $23 on RockAuto.)

RwP

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are these symptoms indicative of a circulation door? Blend door?