4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ridiculous MDS Issues!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 08:56 PM
JasonN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ridiculous MDS Issues!

2012 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. Son put a rod through the block. I ordered a new long block from Frasier Engine and it did not come with new MDS solenoids like it was supposed to. So I ordered a new set because the old ones all broke trying to pull them out. They fit in the block just fine but the electrical connectors are different. So I dug one of the ones out from the old motor and see that it is two pieces instead of one. The first piece is a magnet attached to a plastic retainer. That goes in first then the solenoid fits in. So my problem is that the new motor, will not accept the magnet with plastic retainer. It is not machined enough. I can install the older style just fine but the new one does not fit. So my question is if I install the old type and then get the plugs attached by soldering the wire in or getting the wire harness to fit, will the older style MDS solenoids worth with the ECM in the 2012?This has been so frustrating!

Old 07-21-2018, 04:52 PM
daktwos
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you called Frasier tech support to talk to them about it?I would think they should be fully responsible for making it right or to swap a long block with the correct updates to your vin#.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:53 PM
JasonN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frazier doesn’t know how this happened they did have the VIN. They did offer to send a new Long block but the motor is already installed. On Monday they will check internally to see what happened. I can’t get the numbers off the block because they are behind the accessories. The problem started with the solenoids not installed from them which they were supposed to be. They said they will reimburse me for the solenoids and any other costs no matter what they are. I have to say Paul the general manager has been apologetic and supportive.

I ended up installing new ones but without the separate magnet. The older style that this block accepts won’t plug into my harness. The updated newer ones that the 2012 has, fit in but as I said without the separate magnet and plastic retainer. They must keep metal particles out of the valve assembly. If this ends up failing, then I’ll install the older type that has the magnate integrated and then modify them to accept my harness.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:45 AM
Mike Sal
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going in the opposite direction....I want to do away with the MDS all together. My '09 just starting showing signs of a bad lifter / cam. I'm going to fix it myself. I need to know what parts to buy to accomplish the MDS delete (what cam, etc). I figure I can just unplug the solenoids and leave them in place rather than replace them with those plugs.

I guess the lessen learned for you was to stop the project until you completely knew what was happening (although it would have been hard to catch that the harness wasn't going to work ahead of time...)
Mike S

Quick Reply: Ridiculous MDS Issues!