1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4wd Shifter Knob Position

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 10:10 PM
Humboldtw250
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4wd Shifter **** Position

I recently took my truck into a shop to get the instrument cluster fixed and when I got it back I noticed my 4wd light was on. I figured they just messed up some of the wiring, but when I got it home I noticed that it never turned off and I’m no longer sure what it’s in. When I shift it while sitting in neutral I can only get it to go into three positions. Idk why that is since this is my first 4x4 truck. It’s an automatic 1993, and any info helps, I’m very worried I’ve been running it in 4L or 4H.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:12 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

if you were in 4 low you would know it. all the way forward is 2wd. can you hear the transfer case or front axle while driving? usually you can hear the difference between the 2wd and 4x4 or at least i can in my 89. do you have locking hubs on the front axle?

Old 07-21-2018, 12:23 AM
Humboldtw250

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
if you were in 4 low you would know it. all the way forward is 2wd. can you hear the transfer case or front axle while driving? usually you can hear the difference between the 2wd and 4x4 or at least i can in my 89. do you have locking hubs on the front axle?
The shifter is all the way back right now, which I’m assuming is 4H because it had no issue going 70mph+ today. I honestly can’t tell about hearing the front axle, especially since I’ve never moved the **** until I noticed the light actually working today (granted I’ve only driven it about ~50 miles total since I bought it). I do have locking hubs and they are in the unlocked position currently. The thing is that I can only get it to shift all the way back and to the next two gearings which must be 4L and N, unless it’s set up like the second gens where 2H is the second from furthest back.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:57 AM
Shepard929
Amateur

It goes
2 wheel drive(normal)
4 wheel drive high (which is pretty much the only 4wd you use unless you wanna go less than 25mph)
neutral
4 wheel drive low (for crazy hard pulling)
ive never had a legitimate reason to use this one. But it’s handy if you need it.

2wd
4wdhigh
neutral
4low

you need to lock your guns if you want to use the 4wheel drive?”, but you should be running in 2wd (farthest forward) to protect your drivetrain for when you need it.
Turn a sharp left your right and you’ll feel the truck binding and struggling to turn,because 4wd is not built forsharp turns. That will tell you what gear your in. 2wd will turn like a normal car.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:13 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

being a newer 250 it might have the np250 which would be like the newer trucks. 2wd all the way back. then 4hi, neutral,4lo as you go forward.

having the locking hubs gives you less to worry about. the light usually comes on when the axle locks. with age they stick a bit more or vacuum lines break. i almost wonder when they had the dash out they just notice a burnt out bulb and replaced it since you got to pull out the 4x4 light to take out the dash

Old 07-21-2018, 09:57 PM
Humboldtw250

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
being a newer 250 it might have the np250 which would be like the newer trucks. 2wd all the way back. then 4hi, neutral,4lo as you go forward.

having the locking hubs gives you less to worry about. the light usually comes on when the axle locks. with age they stick a bit more or vacuum lines break. i almost wonder when they had the dash out they just notice a burnt out bulb and replaced it since you got to pull out the 4x4 light to take out the dash
So the mechanic put it in 4H before he gave it back to me, luckily I only drove around town yesterday with the exception of about 4 miles of highway. It is geared like the second gens, so it goes:
4L
N
2H
4H
Had my buddy come over after work and watch the front driveshaft while I let it roll through the different settings. Thanks for all the help!!

Quick Reply: 4wd Shifter Knob Position