1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

wiring woes

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 04:04 PM
sporco
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring woes

thank you, i have a 95 Dakota 3.9l, runs beautiful, 1 day would not start, i found on here about the 3 wires being connected into one under the fuse box in the engine compartment that powers the fuel pump , was all corroded, replaced it and it works great Now since i have owned the truck the dome light would work intermittently or sometimes stay on very dimly whether the doors were open or not, and the door switch on the passenger side door never worked properly. so i decided to check out why, the wires were corroded off the switch,the switch was damaged so i replaced it, the new one does not even tighten against the part of the door jam where it is mounted, it is a little loose in there , not sure how to fix , isn't this a self grounding switch? and if i hook it up the switch , it makes a small spark, the dome light goes completely out and than the fuse pops, i know its probably basic automotive electrical, but i am having a hard time remembering and wrapping my head around this one, is this a short in the ground? if i remove power quick enough the dome light comes back on and the fuse stays good,can i just rewire the passenger door switch, or is this difficult to do, my dash is half apart right now anyway, so if i can fix it i would,otherwise if it is better to just leave unhooked rather than open a can of worms than i guess i would. i hate things not working properly...isn't this an important safety feature of a vehicle?interior lights? please any help would be greatly appreciated.... thank you

Old 07-21-2018, 06:17 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

The 1995 Factory Service Manual is available for download from the FAQ1 sticky; go grab that, then come back.

Got it? Got it unzipped and a PDF reader open? Good! Grab 95AN_8W, open to page 117 (listed as 8W-44-3). If that's the wire that goes to the dome light switch, and it's on with that disconnected, you've got a problem elsewhere; possibly on the time delay relay.

That page will help trace that wire back.

It SHOULD be one wire to ground, but it sounds like it's connected to 12V instead.

I'd check the wiring back to the dome light also.

Plus, be sure there's just one wire there.

RwP

Old 07-27-2018, 10:52 AM
sporco
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi RalphP, i wanted to thank you for the advice and link to the factory service manual. What a great help, turns out i was attaching an extra wire which was live, when i looked at the wire diagrams it took me a little bit to understand but than found where i was going wrong. I corrected it and followed the diagram and the dome light and door jam switches work great. Feels good to repair it correctly. What a great truck, i love it. I am up in Canada and the winters and salt has taken its toll. Frame is going, but if i ever find another i will jump on it in a heartbeat... again thank you sir..
thanks
john

Quick Reply: wiring woes