2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

no spark no fuel no go go..

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 07:32 AM
acain
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no spark no fuel no go go..

Hello again all. The big red whale has bit the dust yet again... My 96 3500 died suddenly coming home from work the other day. I was doing about fifty five when it just lost power and coasted off the road like it had ran out of gas. Dummy me, I couldnt hear the fuel pump clicking so I assumed that was the problem. So two hundred bucks and a day of screaming and cussing and dropping the tank and.... yeah, you know ... wasnt the fuel pump. Realized then that theres also no spark. soooo... no spark, no fuel, no go go.... Same thing actually happened to me about three years ago and I ended up replacing the computer. But for the life of me I cant remember how I determined that to be the problem. What should I do ? Im kinda without any sensible ideas .. Thanks .

Old 08-14-2018, 07:45 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Here is your previous thread, almost 2 years on the dot. The aliens are playing games with you... that is my theory :-)

You say you had fuel pressure last time, so its a bit different this time - but you aren't saying what your fuel pressure profile is when trying to start like last time. Sounds like you just decided to take a look at the pcm, so not sure what lead you there.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ease-fuel.html

Old 08-14-2018, 01:17 PM
acain
Rookie

Yep. Thanks for that. Your right. I kind of just decided to look at it after someone mentioned the pcm . I think its worth pulling this one and looking inside as well. Ive already checked all the fuses and relays, and the ground is good.. what else could just kill the electrical and fuel system while driving down the road?

Old 08-14-2018, 06:31 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Any codes? Do you have 12+ volts at the coil (ignition on) ASD relay controls 12+ to coil,injectors and 02's. It will only stay on for a short period so need to check it fast or leave the meter hooked up then turn the ignition.
http://dodgeram.info/Engine-Gas/OBDI/pcm_fault_code.htm

Old 08-16-2018, 07:39 AM
acain
Rookie

Originally Posted by Moparite
Any codes? Do you have 12+ volts at the coil (ignition on) ASD relay controls 12+ to coil,injectors and 02's. It will only stay on for a short period so need to check it fast or leave the meter hooked up then turn the ignition.
http://dodgeram.info/Engine-Gas/OBDI/pcm_fault_code.htm
Man, thats good info to know! wish Id known about that the past seven years drivin the thing. Problem is gonna be, we disconnected the battery for a while when we were under the hood the other day, so I doubt its gonna show any thing at this point. I guess I could try starting it for a few minutes and see if it will show any codes after ?

Old 10-05-2018, 08:28 AM
acain
Rookie

Hello again, still no luck. Ive been driving a friends truck, I havnt had much time to get back to mine but I have to now as my friend needs his back. I am trying to replace the Crank position sensor now. I was told by a mechanic that he believes thats the problem. according to him, no power any where and just dying on the road like it did, doesnt sound like the computer and he almost gaurantees its the cps... so first, does that sound right? I have no power anywhere. coils, plugs, fuel pump... and two. HOW the @#$#@@@ !!! do I reach that stupid thing?! From under the truck I can see part of the silver bracket up above the passenger side wheel well by the transmission dipstick but Id almost have to cut a hole in the wheel well to reach it. Any ideas or suggestions?

Old 10-05-2018, 09:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Take off the air filter housing, and lay something across from the radiator support, to the throttle body. Lay on that, and you can actually work down there relatively comfortably.....

CPS is a good possibility.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:27 AM
acain
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Take off the air filter housing, and lay something across from the radiator support, to the throttle body. Lay on that, and you can actually work down there relatively comfortably.....

CPS is a good possibility.
Thanks, I'll try that.

Quick Reply: no spark no fuel no go go..