2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ball Joints without a press

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 01:02 PM
Jaw91097
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ball Joints without a press

alright I’m doing it today and I’ve got almost the entire front end apart and ready to go back on, besides the ball joints. I don’t have $200 to rent the press, I’ve got a hammer, a mallet, and some other misc tools, what’s the best way to get these out?
Ive got work tomorrow so I’m gonna be beating the snot out of them while I wait for some suggestions lol, I have a torch and I might try that too unless I’m told not to

97 4x4 Ram 5.9 gas

Old 08-14-2018, 01:04 PM
Jaw91097
Veteran
Old 08-14-2018, 01:32 PM
V65Ozzie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, you gotta disconnect the axles, and get the knuckles out of the way(12 point socket needed) Then you will definitely need a press. You may be able to beat out the old ones, but you have to press them back in, trying to beat them in will damage the new ones. Most auto parts places have loaner tools, granted, they charge your card and refund when it's returned, but it ends up being a free use tool. You got just a little rust there, I've seen worse. Clean the old mating surfaces with a wire brush and sandpaper before you try to reinstall. You can even add a little grease to smooth the install.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:22 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Just a little info when I did mine. I changed mine at 160,000 miles and they were original. Getting just one out took 2 hours. So I go buy one from Advance to bug can't get the inside clip on one of the caps. I bought one of every brand they carried and they were too big. So I tried to grind down the way on the axle and made it to big, so I just tack welded the cap in. Moral of the story buy Spicer U joints

Old 08-14-2018, 06:15 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Rent one of these!
Amazon Amazon

Old 08-15-2018, 11:50 AM
Jaw91097
Veteran

Well I got the front end in, all new tie rods and drag link, track bar, some goodies, but now my problem is getting the front aligned lol. Any Tips?

I figured I'll just wait on the ball joints until I get a press.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Take it to a shop, see if they will do the alignment. If the ball joints are bad, they won't be able to.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:35 AM
Jaw91097
Veteran

Bought this, it'll be in tomorrow
Amazon Amazon

What I need to know is what all do I need to disassemble before taking the ball joints out? What size socket do I need for the axle nut, if I need to take that out? I've never done ball joints, but I've got Monday and Tuesday off this week and I plan to get them done lol.
Basically, what "steps" do I need to take to take the ball joints out?

Thank you in advance!

Old 08-26-2018, 09:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Pull the tire.
Pull the brakes.
Axle nut. 1 11/16ths? I think?
Or
Just pull the bolts that hold the unit bearing in place, and pull the axle with the bearing.
With all that out of the way, pull the cotter keys and nuts off the ball joints. Then separate the knuckle from the joints.
Use the press to swap the ball joints. Put it back together. If all goes well, should be able to do it in a couple hours.

Warning: The bearings like to become one with the knuckles. Chemicals, and possibly a pry bar required. Some folks have use a socket, and extension against the bolt, and used the power steering to get 'em to pop loose. (Jam the socket/extension in there, so when you turn the wheels, it pushes the bolt out.)

Good time to do front brakes as well.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:30 AM
Jaw91097
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Pull the tire.
Pull the brakes.
Axle nut. 1 11/16ths? I think?
Or
Just pull the bolts that hold the unit bearing in place, and pull the axle with the bearing.
With all that out of the way, pull the cotter keys and nuts off the ball joints. Then separate the knuckle from the joints.
Use the press to swap the ball joints. Put it back together. If all goes well, should be able to do it in a couple hours.

Warning: The bearings like to become one with the knuckles. Chemicals, and possibly a pry bar required. Some folks have use a socket, and extension against the bolt, and used the power steering to get 'em to pop loose. (Jam the socket/extension in there, so when you turn the wheels, it pushes the bolt out.)

Good time to do front brakes as well.
Just re-did my passenger front brakes (Rotor and pads) yesterday, but I didn't do that soft line yet, seeing how this pad wears down now that I've got a crap load of grease in there now.
So if I take the axle nut off, does the axle slide out with the entire Knuckle assembly, without messing with the UJoints in there? I just don't wanna take anything apart because I'm 99% sure something would break if I start tinkering with it too much lol.

Quick Reply: Ball Joints without a press