2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Rear Brake Lockup, Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 04:35 PM
pmacddd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brake Lockup, Help Please!

2001 Dakota, 4.7l, Auto trans, 2WD, Quad Cab, RWABS, 330K miles. Been struggling with the left rear wheel locking up. Had a used rear axle installed due to bearings. All brake parts were transferred since I have the 11" brakes. Maybe coincidence, but I've had the left rear wheel locking up since roughly the same time. Since then I've replaced all components (new) having to do with the rear brakes (flex line, wheel cyl., shoes, hardware, master cyl.). The ABS components (control module, metering valve, RWAL valve, RW speed sensor) were replaced, all second hand components. The metering valve was opened up and cleaned. The system has been bled numerous times. Brakes adjusted numerous times. Backed off the E-brake to take it out of the mix. I'm going to kill myself or someone. Really at a loss. Took it to the garage, without stating what I replaced, and he later listed every component I replaced new, and had no idea as to cause. Really discouraged, as I love this truck.

Last edited by pmacddd; 08-19-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:15 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation

This may sound strange buy try a few different bleeding sequences such as bleed the front first then the back see what happens if still problems bleed the back then the front test drive if still sticking now just bleed the back only.

Have you flushed the DOT 3 if not do it first.

Sounds strange but usually works for me only usually its the front brakes that bind up.

If you ordered an all in one replacement brake kit for the 11" brakes its possible you received the wrong parts it happened to me a few times or crappy parts.

The drum brakes on Dakotas are poor at best I hate my 9" rear brakes very crappy always problems. The 98 to 2001 front disk brakes suck also after 2001 or 2002 they improved I cant recall what year they improved exactly.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:36 PM
pmacddd

Thanks for the suggestion on the bleeding. I don't know that I have bled front, then back. I always start farthest from the Master, and work inward. The brakes weren't a kit, that I remember. Think it was shoes and separate hardware kit. I can always figure out something on every vehicle I work on, but this has me NUTS. Thanks, give it a try.

Old 08-19-2018, 07:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Did you put the shoe with the long friction pad on the front side by any chance?

Old 08-19-2018, 08:59 PM
pmacddd

I've looked at the shoes, after reading other posts on here, and they are in the correct location. I'd hoped it was something so simple. I'll gladly take the blame for doing something wrong at this point. Thanks.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

How does the swept area of the drum look? Had them turned lately?

Old 08-20-2018, 08:31 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by pmacddd
I'm going to kill myself or someone. Really at a loss. Took it to the garage, without stating what I replaced, and he later listed every component I replaced new, and had no idea as to cause.
Take it somewhere else.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:14 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

For ****s grins and laughs, does it lock up if you open the bleeder and run a hose into a full bottle of brake fluid (1-man wet bleed method)?

Old 08-21-2018, 08:40 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I think it is safe to rule out the ABS. It doesn't do all 4 wheels, the back are paired together so if the left locks up the right should as well.

I'd try bleeding it again, completely.

There is NO sign of oil or grease contamination on the new shoes is there?

Old 08-21-2018, 12:50 PM
pmacddd

Originally Posted by HeyYou
How does the swept area of the drum look? Had them turned lately?
I put new drums on it, along with all the other parts I threw at it.

Quick Reply: Rear Brake Lockup, Help Please!