1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Trouble replacing coil springs

Old 09-13-2018, 07:47 PM
dobaroy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble replacing coil springs

Having trouble replacing the coil springs in our 92 Dak with 5.2 motor. We have the coil spring compressor tool but we just cant seem to get the coil spring into place. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:40 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

I never use a compressor tool when doing springs on a SLA type RWD suspension. I pop the lower control arm open as wide as possible, locate the tops where they need to go and set the edge in the groove wherever I can catch it into the lower control arm then put a floor jack under the lower arm and jack it up til I can get the lower balljoint in the hole, and nut started. need to get stands under the frame and get it jacked up pretty high.
Was a front end guy for over 20 years and done many of them this way.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:24 AM
dobaroy
Veteran

Thanks Volaredon, good to hear from you, We used to talk on another forum some years ago, At the present time we have the top ball joint disconnected but we will disconnect the bottom one too and try that. Will let you know how we make out.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:25 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker

yeah I usually unhook the lower and take a long extension or pipe or something into the lower ball joint stud hole in the spindle and pull the spindle and upper control arm out of the way, and wedge it against the ground or (when I had one to work from) drive on hoist sometimes put a 2x4 between upper control arm and frame..... but sometimes its easier to pop both ball joints and just set the spindle out of the way,

and yeah I still have my 78 sport fury.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:51 AM
dobaroy
Veteran

I know months have passed since we posted here but just to let you all know that eventually we did get the coil springs installed. The shop we finally took the Dak to told us to come pick the truck up as they couldn't install the coils. We did do the job ourselves here at home but all 3 of us vowed we would never do that job again LOL.

Old 07-28-2019, 10:23 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker

Sounds like you took it to a bunch of wimps haha

The following users liked this post:
dobaroy (07-29-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trouble replacing coil springs