2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L: Trouble Engaging 4x4 and questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 06:49 AM
mmoooossee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2001 Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L: Trouble Engaging 4x4 and questions

Hello all, im new to this forum. I hope you guys can help. I've just been gifted a beauty of a pick up. I am having issues with engaging 4x4. I don't know what im doing as I've never had a truck before. The shifter (located on floor) is in neutral position and I know i only have rear wheel drive now (only rear tires slip when wet/snow). When attempting to switch to other gears at a complete stop I hear a bunch of noises that don't sound very good (Grinding). I've gotten the truck in other gears but when accelerating it feels like the truck is working so hard to move forward or turning. seems like e-brake is on (hard to accelerate). *note e-brake is NOT on.
Questions:
1) What are each of the modes used for?
2) How do I switch between each?
3) What is the best mode for snowy days, highway and local street use?

Im sorry if this has been answered before, i check as many threads as i could, no one seems to be asking this question. if it has been answered can some one please direct me. Thanks to all that are willing to take the time to read this and help. Have a great Day!!

Old 09-19-2018, 08:14 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

NEVER use 4x4 on a high traction surface. You will break things. Expensive things.

For the most part, you just want to use 2wd. 4wd is for slippery conditions. Snow covered roads, or off the roads altogether. 4lo is for REALLY bad conditions. or when you need serious pulling power. (also only low-traction situations) If the roads are snow covered, no pavement showing at all (or, not very much), 4wd. If the roads are mostly clear, 2wd.

You can shift from 2hi to 4 hi while moving at speeds up to 55 mph. (slower is better, but, being moving at least slowly is best) To shift to 4lo, speed less than 3 mph, and shift FAST. Do NOT pause in neutral. If you do, you will have to shut the truck off to get it back into gear.

Welcome to DF!

Old 09-19-2018, 12:23 PM
mmoooossee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
NEVER use 4x4 on a high traction surface. You will break things. Expensive things.

For the most part, you just want to use 2wd. 4wd is for slippery conditions. Snow covered roads, or off the roads altogether. 4lo is for REALLY bad conditions. or when you need serious pulling power. (also only low-traction situations) If the roads are snow covered, no pavement showing at all (or, not very much), 4wd. If the roads are mostly clear, 2wd.

You can shift from 2hi to 4 hi while moving at speeds up to 55 mph. (slower is better, but, being moving at least slowly is best) To shift to 4lo, speed less than 3 mph, and shift FAST. Do NOT pause in neutral. If you do, you will have to shut the truck off to get it back into gear.

Welcome to DF!

That was extremely helpful. thank you so much. I will give it a shot when the snow hits. Awesome!

Old 09-19-2018, 12:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Originally Posted by mmoooossee
That was extremely helpful. thank you so much. I will give it a shot when the snow hits. Awesome!
Mention that "S" word again, and I'll BAN you. (kidding, or not....) Living in Michigan, I get LOTS of opportunities to play with the expensive stick. (4x4 shifter)

Also remember, that yes, 4x4 will help you get moving in the truly crappy weather, but, it does NOT help you STOP. When the opportunity presents itself, I suggest you find a nice, big, open parking lot to play in, and do exactly that. Play. See just what the limits of your new ride are, and how much warning you get before you exceed them.

Last edited by HeyYou; 09-19-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:50 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Also when in 4LO you are limited to speeds of 35 and below

Quick Reply: 2001 Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L: Trouble Engaging 4x4 and questions