1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1992 D150 No spark

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 10:41 PM
Gretzky
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 D150 No spark

Hello all! I have a '92 2wd shortbox D150 and it ran fine. It wouldn't shift out of first, but that's another thread lol. Now this thing won't start. The coil has been replaced, the cam sensor has been replaced. There's intermittent power at the one side of the coil, but dead on the other. Does anyone have an idea on what could be wrong? Thanks for any and all info

Old 09-21-2018, 08:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Which engine?

Old 09-21-2018, 11:57 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

there should be power at 2 of the terminal on the asd and fuel pump relay with the key in the run position. the computer will not ground the relays tho till it detects the right signals saying the engine is spinning. this is why you likely only see power at the coil for a few seconds.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:25 PM
Gretzky

It's the 318.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:26 PM
Gretzky

My dad replaced two relays on the driver side inner fender and they caught on fire. Also, he said that there was a wire that got cooked in the process. He said that it was a wire that was meant to do that, like a fuse, I'm guessing?

Old 10-10-2018, 08:06 PM
Gretzky

Ok, this is starting to drive me NUTS! lol. We replaced the cam sensor, the crank sensor, the coil and I'm sure there's stuff I'm forgetting. The only code that's coming up now is 12, which is no power the the cpu? I'm almost at my wits end with this thing.
Any and all help or info is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Still no spark?

The code 12 is just telling you the battery has been disconnected recently. That's it. I actually EXPECT to see what one when I run codes, even if the battery hasn't been disconnected in ten years.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:32 PM
Gretzky

Oh, damn. lol. Now I have no ideas. There is only power to one side of the coil, maybe not even either side now. It's being very stubborn.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

There should only be power to one side. the other side is the ground circuit. (goes to the PCM.) If you aren't getting power THROUGH the coil, I.E. no voltage on the other wire when the coil is plugged in, then the coil is bad. Keep in mind, if the PCM doesn't see the engine turning, you will only get power at the coil for about 3 seconds.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:01 PM
Gretzky

Hi guys, this truck is REALLY frustrating me now. It's going to run properly soon or will meet it's maker lol. We've changed all the relays, cam and crank sensor and ECU. It runs, but TERRIBLY. Pulled the O2 sensor, no difference. Removed the cat, in case it was plugged, no difference. All of these issues started when I had the truck at the shop for new fuel lines put on. It ran, not great, and it wouldn't shift out of first gear afterwards. Before....it was great. Any and all info is greatly appreciated. I have fond memories growing up, of a truck just like this one, it was even red. But I am at my wits end.

Quick Reply: 1992 D150 No spark