2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

'03 headlights on all the time with engine running !

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 11:37 AM
sjprimo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 headlights on all the time with engine running !

Have an '03 that's been sitting in yard since Feb. Had to charge battery a couple of times but have tried to start once a week to keep charged. Noticed the last time I started it the headlights were on and the switch wasn't. Also, turn signals didn't work, when I put high beams on the indicator came on then went out. Instrument cluster not lit very much and turning the switch **** didn't make any difference. i haven't had time to check if brake lights were working because I was alone at the time. Any suggestions ???
Thanks, spence

Old 09-21-2018, 11:21 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

corroded or rusty ground. Pull the dash bezel and remove the light switch completely - as in, unplug it. See if any brightnesses change. Unplugging the lamp controller should turn all exterior lights on and interior lamps should go full brightness I believe.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:57 PM
XSubaruJeepDude
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep
i have a parasitic draw in my dimmer (potentiometer) or (variable resistor) Dial. I make it a habit to keep the dimmer dial/switch all the way off otherwise it will draw on the battery.
Also I try to make it a habit to cut off the lights before i turn off the truck. otherwise the lights stay on a ridiculous amount of time.

Last edited by XSubaruJeepDude; 09-25-2018 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:54 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by XSubaruJeepDude
yep
i have a parasitic draw in my dimmer (potentiometer) or (variable resistor) Dial. I make it a habit to keep the dimmer dial/switch all the way off otherwise it will draw on the battery.
Also I try to make it a habit to cut off the lights before i turn off the truck. otherwise the lights stay on a ridiculous amount of time.
Why not just change the switch?

Old 09-25-2018, 11:58 AM
XSubaruJeepDude
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Why not just change the switch?
On a meager fixed income, currently saving for tires.

Last edited by XSubaruJeepDude; 09-25-2018 at 12:01 PM.

Quick Reply: '03 headlights on all the time with engine running !