2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Cheap Fender Flares

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 12:24 AM
armynurse
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cheap Fender Flares

It won't let me delete a post either. What's happened to this forum?

Last edited by armynurse; 09-22-2018 at 12:40 AM. Reason: not doing what I want it to do
Old 09-22-2018, 12:33 AM
armynurse
Veteran

Lets try again. I had my truck repainted from Driftwood to 2015 Corvette Shark Gray. It looks good except where the paint is getting chipped inside the fender well lip. I'm thinking of getting a set of cheap amazon non-pocket flares. Anyone have any good experience with a particular set?

And they seemed to have changed how you post pictures; now I can't seem to do so without it totally filling the text box. Any ideas?

Last edited by armynurse; 09-22-2018 at 12:41 AM.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:12 AM
armynurse
Veteran

Let's see if I can post a picture as an example of a fender flare:

Old 09-22-2018, 06:41 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by armynurse
It won't let me delete a post either. What's happened to this forum?
Only mods and admins can delete posts.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:09 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by armynurse
Let's see if I can post a picture as an example of a fender flare:
I saw a set of what looked to be those on a 2nd gen truck before, I think, because they have that one indentation near the body line. If that indentation is unique to the brand, then they fit ok. Why is the paint flaking off? Are you off pavement alot? Shouldn't happen to a street driven truck, there is something up with the paint job if it is.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:03 PM
armynurse
Veteran

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
I saw a set of what looked to be those on a 2nd gen truck before, I think, because they have that one indentation near the body line. If that indentation is unique to the brand, then they fit ok. Why is the paint flaking off? Are you off pavement alot? Shouldn't happen to a street driven truck, there is something up with the paint job if it is.
Thanks - I might just get them then. I think the paint prep might not have been the greatest on the inside of the fender well lip and that's what's causing it. That and I was probably too aggressive with the pressure washer at the car wash. I'm rarely off-pavement with the truck (that's what the Jeep is for).

The truck was repainted twice with the Driftwood color, and then this (hopefully) darker Shark Gray will be the last time I get it painted. The tires do stick out a little bit, so I just want to protect the fender wells a bit, and cover the tires with a minimal of coverage.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:34 PM
oxymoron29
Veteran

Have you considered just sanding and roll on bedlining the wheel well strip of the fender? Easy touch ups and resistance to future chips, it goes unnoticed too.

Maybe its me but I have never seen a flare that looks "right" on these trucks, each brand and style has quirks that I cannot get used to. And I am a fan of pocket flares on almost every other truck

Old 09-22-2018, 06:14 PM
armynurse
Veteran

Originally Posted by oxymoron29
Have you considered just sanding and roll on bedlining the wheel well strip of the fender? Easy touch ups and resistance to future chips, it goes unnoticed too.

Maybe its me but I have never seen a flare that looks "right" on these trucks, each brand and style has quirks that I cannot get used to. And I am a fan of pocket flares on almost every other truck
That's actually not a bad idea with the bedliner... I'll have to look into it. I haven't ordered any fender flares yet (there's no rush - still looking at options without spending a lot of money). Truck looks excellent for a 96 with 225,000 miles on it, zero rust, and I plan on keeping it forever.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:13 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

I bought wider fiberglass fenders and bedsides that stick out 4"/5" for my truck

Old 10-06-2018, 10:44 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

i can't get rid of this

Last edited by 2bit; 10-06-2018 at 10:52 PM. Reason: has words instead of picture

Quick Reply: Cheap Fender Flares