3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Rough Idle with no start.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 08:50 PM
Zombifyd
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Idle with no start.

Hello all once again. I fear the time is coming where I should really get rid of my truck, but I have faith in her for a little longer. There is a laundry list of things wrong with it but I'll stick with my main one right now.
I went to start my truck last Sunday and it barely started and it was like choking for air. It had a rough idle and when turned off or stalled it would not start the first couple of times. After messing with it. I was able to get it home. It drove fine until yesterday and now today acted up also.
It threw a p0201-P0208, but before that I tried the Evap purge solenoid and no change.
I also hooked up the fuel pressure gauge and got 58psi even while it went through the rough idle phase.
I'm going to change out the EGR valve next. (I have had problems with that in the past.)
Any thoughts of what it might be?
Thanks

Old 09-24-2018, 09:50 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had to change my battery twice since I've owned mine. I know it's time when it has symptoms like this.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:03 PM
Zombifyd
Professional

I just changed my battery in the spring, but I get what you're saying. I was now leaning to the pcm because I also had the trans temp light come on, the abs and brake light flashed on a couple of times. Not sure if it's a separate issue, but my transfer case was acting up about 2 months ago. I could hear it engaging and disengaging with the truck off and standing beside it. I just pulled the fuse for now.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:04 AM
Zombifyd
Professional

Another symptom would be my gas gauge seems faulty. I would start it up and my gauge would read a quarter of a tank. Then I would turn it off and start it again, it would be a hair over empty and the gas light on. With the needle slowly raising to a quarter. Meanwhile my DTE remains the same as it would be at a quarter.
Its very frustrating.

Old 09-26-2018, 03:31 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker

I'd be leaning towards the PCM also, just because of the electrical gremlins and the failure rate on these Dodges.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:38 PM
Zombifyd
Professional

Well then, I found a good price, compared to rock auto, for about 200ish dollars... is that a decent price, or can you recommend a place? Lol

Old 09-27-2018, 12:43 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker

I haven't had to buy one... yet. I'd look at reviews of the vendors. They are all repaired, and sometimes people get bad ones. Only guy I know that bought one went through ebay for his '05 Magnum rt, he got a good unit and it fixed his intermittent rough running and stalling.

I hate throwing parts at something though. Always a gamble, have you checked/cleaned grounds, inspect harness, done a hard reset?

Old 10-07-2018, 12:43 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

first thing is check all your negative grounds, corrosion could be setting in and a simple wire replace could cure all issues

Old 10-08-2018, 07:11 AM
Zombifyd
Professional

I will have a look at them before I start throwing money at it. Anyone have a wiring diagram and points out the grounds?

On a side note, I was poking around looking at the wiring the other day when I noticed a loose wire that seemed to be cut, which was taped to another wire that seems to be spliced into one of the injectors. After following the those two, the come out into the cab where the brake pedal is and they are both cut off right there. One wire is green and orange, the other white and black.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:16 AM
Zombifyd
Professional

Quick Reply: Rough Idle with no start.