2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 Ram 1500 no spark no fuel after swap.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 09:35 AM
r.alvarez
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Ram 1500 no spark no fuel after swap.

Hello all. New member here. Having some troubles with my truck after doing an engine swap. The engine is out of a 2001 so I used my 97 harness and swapped all sensors as well as injectors and fuel rail from the 97 to the new motor. Upon trying to start the truck it would crank but not turn over. The truck did run before the swap it just had very low compression and burned lots of oil which is why we swapped motors. We commenced trying to fix the problem. Checked grounds and all have been cleaned and replaced. started checking relays and all function when energized manually. checked all fuses. plugged in my OBD2 scanner and it says no link. It used to work as I've used it before to read codes on this truck. I am getting power at the computer input (pin A22 and pin A2 with ignition on) and the ground inputs (pins A31 and A32) to the computer are good. when I turn on the ignition switch there is no output to the fuel pump on pin C19 on computer no output on C3 ASD relay and no output on A7 Ignition coil. so it seems like the computer is not communicating since I have power and ground going in to the computer but no output signals. I have power at the OBD2 port but will not link. Is the computer fried or is there something I'm missing here? any help will be greatly appreciated!

Ruben

Last edited by r.alvarez; 10-03-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

If I had to hazard a guess, I would suspect the crank sensor is either not hooked up, not installed, or got destroyed when you installed the engine. It sits on the bellhousing, behind the passenger side head, and is a frequent victim of such an exercise.

Also, the 01 intake manifold isn't going to have the provision for the one-wire temp sensor for the gauge in the dash.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:10 PM
r.alvarez

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If I had to hazard a guess, I would suspect the crank sensor is either not hooked up, not installed, or got destroyed when you installed the engine. It sits on the bellhousing, behind the passenger side head, and is a frequent victim of such an exercise.

Also, the 01 intake manifold isn't going to have the provision for the one-wire temp sensor for the gauge in the dash.
I’ll pull out the crank sensor tomorrow morning and inspect it. It’s quite possible that it got destroyed cause there was quite a bit of pulling/pushing/yanking trying to get things lined up.

I will I’ll be pulling the manifold and replacing it with the one from the 97 once I get this problem sorted out.

thanks for your response!

Old 10-03-2018, 07:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Let us know how it goes.

Old 10-06-2018, 02:25 PM
r.alvarez

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Let us know how it goes.
so it turns out you were right. The wires for the crank position sensor or pinched in between the crankcase and the bell housing. I got them loose and splice them back together connected everything up and now I have fuel pressure again. I was limited on time so I didn’t get to go much further but I did try and crank it to turn it over and it did not turn over. More info to come when I have time to play around with the truck. Again thanks for the help diagnosing my issue!

Old 12-08-2018, 07:38 AM
r.alvarez

So We swapped out the CPS and got it to fire. Upon bleeding out the coolant system the truck was running and just shut off after about 10 minutes. Now it won’t start. Fuel pump is turning on. I have spark at the coil. What could be the problem now?

Old 12-08-2018, 08:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

How's fuel pressure?

Old 12-08-2018, 08:39 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by r.alvarez
So We swapped out the CPS and got it to fire. Upon bleeding out the coolant system the truck was running and just shut off after about 10 minutes. Now it won’t start. Fuel pump is turning on. I have spark at the coil. What could be the problem now?
Do you have spark at the plugs?

Old 12-08-2018, 08:39 AM
r.alvarez

There is no port for testing on my fuel rail. How would you recommend testing pressure without the port?

Old 12-08-2018, 08:42 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by r.alvarez
There is no port for testing on my fuel rail. How would you recommend testing pressure without the port?
There should be

Quick Reply: 97 Ram 1500 no spark no fuel after swap.