Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Check engine light will not go off

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 01:38 PM
tbancroft
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Check engine light will not go off

This is my first posting to the forum, so I hope I have put it in the right place.

I have a camperized 1996 5.2L Ram. I do very little mechanical work on it myself, but have a problem that the mechanic seems unable to solve. The check engine light code showed problems with the crankshaft positioning sensor, and the sensor was replaced and the check engine light reset. The light came back on only a few minutes after I drove off the mechanic's lot. The code was the same and he put another new sensor on and again reset the computer. The same thing happened again and just as quickly. The light stays on constantly. The mechanic checked the flywheel as well as he could without taking it out of the car and did not see any broken teeth. I think he did something to check the computer as well.

I don't notice much difference in the driving (hard to tell because the van has had new tires and steering components, and I only drive it to go camping), but there may be slightly less acceleration power. I'm worried that some other problem will crop up and I will not be warned because the light is always on anyway. Is there something that should/can be done to resolve this issue? Thanks a lot for whatever input you can provide.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:07 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

A code is not an absolute. What I mean by that is a CKS sensor code only points you to the CKS sensor, it doesn't mean the CKS sensor is the problem. It's quite possible the wiring harness either wore through or was chewed through at some point and a wire is shorting to ground. It's hard to comment much further without know exactly which code you got.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:10 PM
tbancroft

Thanks for the reply, alloro. I'll try to get the exact code the mechanic got.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Also, these engines absolutely HATE aftermarket sensors in critical locations. (and the crank sensor is right at the top of that list.....) If the problem actually IS the sensor itself, get a mopar sensor, from the dealer, or some online distributor, but, it MUST be genuine OEM mopar part.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:54 AM
tbancroft

Thanks a lot, HeyYou. I'll have to find out what brand the mechanic put in - it's not shown on the invoice.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:31 PM
tbancroft

Hi, Alloro. The code I have now is P1391. According to troublecodes.net that means Crankshaft position (CKP) sensor/camshaft position (CMP) sensor -intermittent signal (Chrysler). Do you have any advice about this? I got the code from a newly installed OBD Check from Torque using a Veepeak INDCheck VP11 bluetooth plugin that just arrived today from Amazon. Most reviewers of this combination are satisfied that they get good data.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:20 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by tbancroft
The code I have now is P1391.
That code tends to mean a problem with the wiring harness because it's an intermittent crank sensor signal code and not a continuous issue, such as would be the case with a bad crank sensor.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:24 PM
tbancroft

Thanks, Alloro. Is the wiring harness the wires from the sensor to the computer, or ?????. I really appreciate your help and ideas.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Yep. Sensor gets its power from the PCM, and sends signal back to the PCM. Nothing else involved.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:43 AM
tbancroft

You're doing a great job pointing me in the right direction, Alloro, thank you. I will do my best to check the harness as soon as I can get under the car and still be dry.

Quick Reply: Check engine light will not go off