1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Need help quick (no fuel electrical continuation)

Old 10-16-2018, 06:28 PM
chasebh89
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need help quick (no fuel electrical continuation)

So my 91 quit on me on lunch today... I've got it at a Walmart parking lot and I've got the stuff to wire it with. I just want to get it home but I've run into a problem trying to rewire a bandaid in... I cut out the old splice, braided the wire together, and stuffed them in a butt connector. But nothing happened. I peeled back the insulation to find that the wire I had connected it to was the original splice wire (about 3in long and connected to nothing). It's solid black and I cannot find a solid black wire in the bundle. At least one of the wires in the splice is hot as I accidentally touched a pliers to the fender and there was a nice spark. Where does the all black wire go and which is the fuel pump so I can at least get it driving.

The single wire on the bottom is the one I thought it had disconnected from and attempted to resplice but it isn't attached to anything

Old 10-16-2018, 07:22 PM
chasebh89
Rookie

This is what it WAS attached to. Black with no stripe going out and light grey, dark grey, and black (ns) going to ASD, fuse, and ac relay.

After peeling back several feet of insulation I can find nothing wrong. Is it possible those wires are supposed to be connected but they're just not getting voltage across? If so what was that splice for? Where does it go. Am desperate for help

Old 10-17-2018, 11:49 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

I can't answer your question as I never took my splice apart. I think the best thing for you to do is put it back together with clean wire the way you found it. If you can solder them. Look for any loose connections you may have moved around while doing this work. Check your grounds to be sure they are good.
As a rule quick fixes tend to break down quickly as well. IDK how to read them but there is a wiring diagram in the FSM on the FAQ page. It may help you understand what is what.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:29 PM
chasebh89
Rookie

I tore the splice apart yesterday and got it running again. I made things a little more permanent at home but I'm not going to solidify anything until I get it back to 100%. I actually think that splice can be entirely internalized within the PDC, with the exception of the original splice error there's absolutely no reason for the splice to actually be outside the PDC. It connects the power from the 30a pink fuse to the AC clutch relay and ASD relay. When I snipped the old splice one wire basically fell off, which I assume is the ASD. I cut back various spots in the wire bundle going to the battery and the computer and the rest of the wiring looked good. I'll keep troubleshooting and testing. It started fine this morning so I'm hopeful

Old 10-17-2018, 10:13 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Well, no, there IS a reason for that splice.

The wires FROM it are all fusible links; if you bypass them, then you could possibly set the truck on fire with an electrical problem down the road.

And fusible links don't blow like fuses do; there's a reason why they're used and NOT fuses.

(Of course, what I did when adding an additional fuse box, is use a buss bar; as I have to replace fusible links, I can bolt them to the buss bar instead of soldering to a splice. That's my plan, anyway.)

RwP

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help quick (no fuel electrical continuation)