3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Scrap yard find

Old 10-17-2018, 10:34 AM
Seventime
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrap yard find

Hello all,

I have a 06 4.7 SLT 4x4 auto. Last week a 3rd gen Dakota came into the scrap yard I work at so I’m gonna strip some spare parts off it. The scrap truck is also a 4.7 SLT 4x4. I know there are two options for the auto trans and the t-case in these trucks. Are either of the t-cases interchangeable with either trans? Or does one only bolt up to a certain trans?
i believe my truck has the 545RFE but I can’t remember the t-case model.
The scrap truck has a 233 t-case. There is a flex fuel badge on the tailgate of the scrap truck which mine does not have.

thoughts??

Old 10-17-2018, 01:02 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

not to sure, but it will bolt up, issue would be the harness. not to sure if they are compatible.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:26 PM
Seventime
Rookie

Originally Posted by superdak05
not to sure, but it will bolt up, issue would be the harness. not to sure if they are compatible.
mare you referring to the motor or the t-case?

Old 10-18-2018, 11:54 AM
Hesselhoff
Rookie
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The transfer case should bolt in no problem. If it has badges that say awd, or the switch that says awd, then it's awd, it should still work. They both bolt up to the same transmission and have the same spline count. The 233 is electric controlled part time 4wd, the 243 is electric controlled full time 4wd/awd. As far as I can tell they have the same wiring harness and the only difference would be the label on the switch.

Last edited by Hesselhoff; 10-18-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:24 PM
Seventime
Rookie

Originally Posted by Hesselhoff
The transfer case should bolt in no problem. If it has badges that say awd, or the switch that says awd, then it's awd, it should still work. They both bolt up to the same transmission and have the same spline count. The 233 is electric controlled part time 4wd, the 243 is electric controlled full time 4wd/awd. As far as I can tell they have the same wiring harness and the only difference would be the label on the switch.

Your right, I do have the NV233 since it’s only part time 4x4 and I just read in the service manual the NV244 has no two wheel drive option. Thanks. I’ll rip the scrap 233 out for a spare.

As as for the motor. What’s the difference between the scrap 4.7 that has a flex fuel badge and my 4.7 that does not?

Also, would it be worth while to take the PCM as a spare, as I know those can be pricey?

thanks for the response

Old 10-18-2018, 09:02 PM
Hesselhoff
Rookie
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

What year is the one from the scrap yard? It seems they just put the badges on some of them at one point, but there is no difference that I can find. After 2008 I believe they all say flex fuel. I'm not sure on the pcm. Personally I would just take the whole truck.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:50 PM
Seventime
Rookie

Originally Posted by Hesselhoff
What year is the one from the scrap yard? It seems they just put the badges on some of them at one point, but there is no difference that I can find. After 2008 I believe they all say flex fuel. I'm not sure on the pcm. Personally I would just take the whole truck.

Not positive on the year since the top of the cab is crushed and I can’t get a door open to check. It’s before they changed the headlights and grill though, which I think was in 08. I’m waiting on a better shape one to roll in to take the entire truck. This one I’m just picking parts.

So far I stripped, t-case, alt, starter, ignition coil’s, bulbs, sockets fuses relays.
Tomorrow on my lunch break in thinking ac compressor, what ever solenoids and sensors I can easily put a socket on. Maybe pcm.

Since i cant start this one I’m holding off on the motor/trans till one comes in I can hear running.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,169 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Flex fuel capability is just programming. The pcm can tell that you are running E-85, and changes things up accordingly.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:23 AM
Seventime
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Flex fuel capability is just programming. The pcm can tell that you are running E-85, and changes things up accordingly.
good to know. Thanks. That being said, can I use the pcm of a flex fuel truck in a non-flex fuel?
i would think I could.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,169 Likes on 2,923 Posts

I think the flex fuel engines *might* have used larger injectors....... but, not 100% on that.

Not that E-85 saves you any money. Sure, it's cheaper at the pump, but, after you figure in the 30% fuel mileage loss, things even out pretty quick.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Scrap yard find