2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dome light supervision

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 09:31 PM
Tamuiel
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dome light supervision

I can't seem to find any 1 that knows how these dome lights work! Its for my keyless entry/ remote start. It shows a yellow negative output on the bulldog security website. Every other wire color was correct. There is a pink , yellow and black ground. The pink always has power unless i turn off dome lights at switch. Yellow is power to map light switches. Power is lost at yellow when dome lights are already on. I just cant understand how that can be. Opening and closing door nothing changes!! Yet lights go on and off. I tried door trigger wires and they make no sense either. No wire either gets power or gets ground when they are on. 01 Ram..Thanks on advance. I know someone here knows!!!

Last edited by Tamuiel; 10-18-2018 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Mis spelling
Old 10-19-2018, 12:28 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Tamuiel
I can't seem to find any 1 that knows how these dome lights work! Its for my keyless entry/ remote start. It shows a yellow negative output on the bulldog security website. Every other wire color was correct. There is a pink , yellow and black ground. The pink always has power unless i turn off dome lights at switch. Yellow is power to map light switches. Power is lost at yellow when dome lights are already on. I just cant understand how that can be. Opening and closing door nothing changes!! Yet lights go on and off. I tried door trigger wires and they make no sense either. No wire either gets power or gets ground when they are on. 01 Ram..Thanks on advance. I know someone here knows!!!
You have a completed system. You won't find power at the door switches because the power comes from the CTM. Basically it goes like this: Door Switch senses door is open send a signal to ctm saying "Hey doors are open we should turn on dome light. CTM then decided if it will send power to dome light.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:36 AM
Tamuiel
Rookie

Thanks. I read online that i need a relay but it dont show how to wire it

Old 10-19-2018, 05:13 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks. I read online that i need a relay but it dont show how to wire it
You'll need a standard 5-pole relay (known as Bosch relay). Locate dome light from the CTM, cut it, and connect to a relay pole 87a. Wire going to the dome is connected to a pole 30. Then get fused 12 volts to a pole 87, and ground to a pole 85. Trigger for the relay goes to pole 86.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:52 AM
Tamuiel
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeikIlm
You'll need a standard 5-pole relay (known as Bosch relay). Locate dome light from the CTM, cut it, and connect to a relay pole 87a. Wire going to the dome is connected to a pole 30. Then get fused 12 volts to a pole 87, and ground to a pole 85. Trigger for the relay goes to pole 86.
thanks buddy. Thats exactly what i wanted to know

Old 10-19-2018, 10:12 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by HeikIlm
You beat me to it lol
thanks buddy. Thats exactly what i wanted to know
Let us know if that works for you.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:37 AM
Tamuiel
Rookie

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
You beat me to it lol

Let us know if that works for you.
will do