2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mystery coolant leak

Old 10-19-2018, 04:51 PM
POSram2001
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mystery coolant leak

Can’t find this leak. Leave a puddle underneath my truck even when I’m not driving.

it leaks at a lower rate when the truck isn’t running but still leaves a damp puddle underneath the truck.

im really mad. This truck runs great and now I still can’t drive it because I can’t locate this leak.

looks like it’s leaking behind the pulley where the water pump is but looking at the water pump gasket from the side it’s dry.

drips on the front tie rod and the puddle is right underneath.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:06 PM
POSram2001
Rookie

This where it’s wet. It’s not wet above it but this is where it drips. It’s hard to trace because everything above the spot it drips is dry. A little stumped.

​​​​​​​Not or even the top of that black brack thing is wet.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:53 PM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

There's a weep hole on waterpump, probably leaking from there.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:09 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Why can't you drive it with a leak??? Good grief, first world problems. Just carry some coolant with you and keep an eye on it. I drove around a year and a half before I solved a coolant leak (bypass hose tube).

Old 10-19-2018, 06:15 PM
POSram2001
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Why can't you drive it with a leak??? Good grief, first world problems. Just carry some coolant with you and keep an eye on it. I drove around a year and a half before I solved a coolant leak (bypass hose tube).
because it leaks even when I’m not driving which means it’s a big leak ?

Old 10-19-2018, 07:01 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Get under the truck (with a mirror if need be) after you had it up to temperature and shut it off. This is when the pressure goes up a bit and the leak will show itself.
There's a weep hole on waterpump, probably leaking from there.
This would be the first place to look!

Old 10-19-2018, 09:22 PM
POSram2001
Rookie

Originally Posted by Moparite
Get under the truck (with a mirror if need be) after you had it up to temperature and shut it off. This is when the pressure goes up a bit and the leak will show itself.

This would be the first place to look!
did this a few hours ago. Still could not locate it.

can you see the peephole with the pulley on or does it have to come off ?

Old 10-19-2018, 09:31 PM
jtcowan
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the timing chain cover gasket is another source of leaks. I had to change mine.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:31 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 298 Likes on 282 Posts

If you lay on the ground and look up at the water pump, you should see the weep hole behind the water pump pulley. You can also use an inspection mirror and try to look at it from the top of the motor. Also check the bypass hose between the water pump and the intake in addition to the heater hose bypass tube on the side of the water pump. Lastly, check around the thermostat housing where the upper radiator hose comes off the intake. As was mentioned, the timing cover gasket/bolts can be a source for coolant leaks, too.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:57 PM
WhiteSnake91
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same things to check others have said, I need to change my pump out most likely finally, with that and tightening up my steering box my truck should be set for many years, I have to add a bit of coolant every 100ish miles, which for my low yearly mileage usage really hasn't been an issue

What are the odds it's just a gasket though? I've heard horror stories of even new pumps being crap quality and leaking online but who knows if the people installed them right....many online preached about putting in a new clutch fan too since people swore that could improve mpg...?

When discussing going ahead and putting in a new timing chain while already that deep in there, one user said they did and it did no improvement and there's always going to be a little play in the chain according to them. I'm wary of screwing with a well running vehicle which after a tune-up and new fuel pump mine runs perfectly like a top now...

I can't find any info or step by step pics showing how to do the timing chain/gears on these trucks either....some say it HAS to be at top dead center, others said wherever the marks are on the old ones are just replace those with new, others said move the old ones by hand until the dots line up right down the middle THEN change it all out....urgh lol.

Apparently either the upper left or upper right timing chain cover spot is an area that can wear/leak over time I vaguely remember reading so extra gasket material is needed there(could be any of the corners honestly, it's been awhile)

Last edited by WhiteSnake91; 10-22-2018 at 05:08 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mystery coolant leak