4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cabin Air Filter / AC Evaporator

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 02:21 PM
Mike Sal
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cabin Air Filter / AC Evaporator

I broke the head of the evaporator on my 09 hemi when removing the heads from the engine. I had read a few times about guys talking about cabin filters. I didn't think much about it untill I watched the Motorcity Mechanics videos on changing the evaporator & pulling the dash that they showed that this is a serious issue with 4th Gen Rams. Even in not so dusty climates, dust from the outside will eventually clog the evaporator & reduce the performance of your AC. When I pulled mine, it was 50% clogged.

While I had it apart, I cut the opening so I could install a filter kit (29 bucks w/ free shipping thru ebay). The kit includes the new lid and one filter. I went with the cheap filter since I don't live in a super dusty environment. I'll keep an eye on it to see if I need to upgrade over time or not. The photos, taken after I put the dash back together, show the filter & lid, the filter slid into the hole you created, and finally the lid installed. Everything is accessible after you remove the glove box door.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:23 PM
Mike Sal
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oops, forgot to include a pic of the old, vs new evaporator.
Mike Sal

Old 10-22-2018, 11:03 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Nicely, done! I added the cabin air filter to mine about a year ago. The interior even stays a touch cleaner now, too.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:27 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

hmm mine came with one, after seeing that picture im no longer unhappy about it. Always thought it was just another item to clean, but id rather do that then replace a clogged evaporator or heater core.

Quick Reply: Cabin Air Filter / AC Evaporator