3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Questions about buying a demo Durango

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 09:16 AM
hls811
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about buying a demo Durango

I'm not sure if there are any car dealers in here who may be able to answer this, but I have been looking for a Durango for a while now, I came across a dealer demo vehicle yesterday, it was apparently driven by the manager of the dealership. I took it for a test drive, it felt great, the car was clean, outside looked flawless. The car has 7,200 miles on it and was a 2018, identially specced out the same as a brand new one I was looking at. After a little negotiation on the price of the vehicle the best price I could get for it was only slightly less than the brand new one I had also priced out. The brand new one had $3500 in rebates applied to get me to that price, when I questioned the rebates on the demo vehicle I was told they do not apply to a demo. When I bought my wifes car a few years ago it was also a demo with less miles and it was eligible for a rebate. I asked if that policy had changed and he said no, and he said theres a difference between demo cars and loaner cars... It sounded like I was getting the runaround. I've looked online and in the articles I've read it seems like demos should be eligible but it doesn't flat out say they are. I'm just wondering if anyone knows for sure. I wasn't really in a position to tell him he was wrong but I'd love to go back to the dealer and based on the price of the Durango he gave me tell him definitively that he can add on the available rebates even if not all $3500 apply, if any part of that does it would get the car into a price that would make it a better option than a brand new one.

I ran a carfax on the VIN and its never been registered, as far as I can tel theres no difference between this and a brand new vehicle except this one has more mileage on it.

THANKS!

Old 10-21-2018, 12:56 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are losing not just miles, but a percentage of the warranty. I'd be negotiating with them for this vs a new car from a different dealership.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy the demo model, but I would insist in a significant discount. Actually for the record if I were buying one now I would be holding out for a 2019 to get the built in trailer brake control since I tow a lot with mine.

They need to ditch that 2018 demo model, it's quickly becoming last year's model. They ought to make it worth your while.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:06 PM
hls811
Rookie

Originally Posted by wi-steve
You are losing not just miles, but a percentage of the warranty. I'd be negotiating with them for this vs a new car from a different dealership.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy the demo model, but I would insist in a significant discount. Actually for the record if I were buying one now I would be holding out for a 2019 to get the built in trailer brake control since I tow a lot with mine.

They need to ditch that 2018 demo model, it's quickly becoming last year's model. They ought to make it worth your while.
You need to be my car dealer - I totally agree! I would think they would want to get rid of a 2018 model with mileage on it to make room for their 2019's. I have no doubts about buying the demo vehicle, but it has to be worthwhile. When I compare it to the price of the new car, its less than $1000 difference, that doesn't seem right.

I'll have to see if I can get a hold of someone from FCA tomorrow to clarify the rebate thing.. if they tell me rebates are still applicable, I can go back to the dealer and get them applied.. If they say they don't apply, then this dealership just isn't looking to make a sale.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:27 AM
hls811
Rookie

Its a done deal and I'm back in a Durango (my 4th!).

I called FCA Monday, they were so helpful - if the car was a true demo I would be eligible for the rebates, but they ran the VIN and told me that the dealership actually purchased the vehicle outright, so it wasn't really a demo, but a used car and I'd be the second owner. That gave me a little leverage to go back to the dealership with. I called them up and we negotiated some more, I got the car for $10,775 under the sticker price. When I compared it to the new one I was looking at, with the rebates I was only saving about $6500 off sticker - this just came out to a much better deal. They were willing to include the Mopar 7/100 certified warranty in the deal, but I was able to up it to the Max Care unlimited.

So, I've now had a 2012, 2013, 2015 and a 2018. This one has everything I want and I plan to keep for a while!

Quick Reply: Questions about buying a demo Durango