Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Fog Lights Relay supply from ignition wire

Old 10-22-2018, 12:16 PM
DodgeJourneyOwner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fog Lights Relay supply from ignition wire

I am installing new fog lights for my Dodge Journey 2016 CVP where no Fog lights are originally installed. All went well till connecting the Fog light switch to the igniting wire (on side kick panel on driver side). I guess that is because I am using the same ignition wire to connect to my remote starter and the current drawn by the Fog Light relay is beyond what this wire can supply. I checked the coil consumption for the fog light switch and found it be 150mA. The relay works well if supplied from battery directly which proves its healthiness. Now I am thinking about adding a relay with low coil consumption before the fog light relay and that will reduce the burden on the ignition wire. I am using the cigarette lighter for rear view camera and that is why I am not using the same for powering the fog lights relay.
What relays are my best option for this type of application ?
Any thoughts on better ways for using the ignition wire or powering up the fog light relay ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fog Lights Relay supply from ignition wire