1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

bolt locations /angle differences in LA 318 vs Magnum 318

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 02:12 PM
DocChuck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bolt locations /angle differences in LA 318 vs Magnum 318

I was putting in a remanned 318 engine in my 1991 Ramcharger . I noticed immediatley that the intake manifold bolt holes are vertical on the new engine and angled in the LA....Are there any other mountiing hold location/angle changes between the motors that would not let me swap over the old parts on the new engine. I'll have to maching the holes in the manifold if I can use it at all.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:53 PM
chasebh89
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I remember correctly the only differences (between swapping entire motors and not parting one for the other) should be the intake manifold, rockers/lifters, and I think exhaust but I'm not sure ...

Old 10-22-2018, 03:56 PM
DocChuck
Default LA vs Magnum 318 differences....

Thanks , Im hoping those were the only changes...I can angle the holes on the intake manifold to match the new block, but I'd be worried about weakening the manifold, cracking, or warping it under load...and even if I do, I'll still have to machine in either 45 degree flats or make angled bushings so the bolts are holding it flat and not pulling to both sides

The tech folks are checking it out from their end now to see the specs on the motors. I wish I had access to the design plans.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:24 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

One BIG difference is the heads; you can put Magnum heads on a LA block as long as you use the proper lifters, but you cannot put LA heads on a Magnum block and it run very long due to the lack of oil passages in all but the very, VERY first Magnum blocks to oil the rocker shafts with.

It's usually easier to redrill the heads. You can also buy new heads for a Magnum that have LA intake bolt patterns; EngineQuest heads are at about $500 each from Summit or Jegs with valves and springs.

Might be easier to find a Magnum-pattern intake to replace the LA intake, too; that's always a possibility.

RwP

Old 10-22-2018, 09:08 PM
DocChuck

The remanufactured engine from Powertrain dirrect has the heads already attaches with valves, rockers, etc. My big concerns are bolting all the things like intake which will requrie angling the holes straight ...and once I noticed that, I thoguht I'd be having bad surprises at every turn bolting on everything else.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:31 PM
RalphP
Champion

So pick up a Magnum-pattern intake instead.

RwP

Old 10-23-2018, 07:31 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

I know there are companies that can re-drill the magnum heads to work with the LA style intake.
And IMO there are advantages to the magnum engine vs the LA engine.......
But, if you are looking at a truely bolt in deal, I would suggest that you return the engine and order the correct one for the 91 ramcharger.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:54 AM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
I know there are companies that can re-drill the magnum heads to work with the LA style intake.
And IMO there are advantages to the magnum engine vs the LA engine.......
But, if you are looking at a truely bolt in deal, I would suggest that you return the engine and order the correct one for the 91 ramcharger.
This.

1991 was last year for 5.2/318 LA motors; 1992 was for 5.9/360 LA motors.

I'd swap back to that ... second. Or if you want it truly bolt in.

(I STILL say the best bet is to grab a Magnum carb intake and go that way ... your butt dyno will thank you.)

If you DO go that way, a new 4-barrel dual plane can be had for under $250 at Summit: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...iew/make/dodge

RwP

Old 10-23-2018, 03:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
This.

1991 was last year for 5.2/318 LA motors; 1992 was for 5.9/360 LA motors.

I'd swap back to that ... second. Or if you want it truly bolt in.

(I STILL say the best bet is to grab a Magnum carb intake and go that way ... your butt dyno will thank you.)

If you DO go that way, a new 4-barrel dual plane can be had for under $250 at Summit: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...iew/make/dodge

RwP
Isn't the original motor TBI? Will the throttle body bolt to an aftermarket intake?

Old 10-23-2018, 04:47 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Isn't the original motor TBI? Will the throttle body bolt to an aftermarket intake?

FWIW, the crosswind, and edelbrock intake are 4bbl designs, But you probably could use an adapter....
Are all sensors in the same location, will throttle cable be in same place?
Last, and this would be my big concern, will the magnum (230hp) run on the tbi? I dont believe there is any programming to be done with the tbi systems.

Again, I believe the questions you need to answer,
1. how important is it, that this is a bolt in deal. (no modifications)
2. do you have to pass an emissions test?
3 can you exchange the motor for the correct one?

Quick Reply: bolt locations /angle differences in LA 318 vs Magnum 318